Power Distribution w/ bypass

Javespy10

New User
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hi all,
I have a customer who wants a 400 HP motor on a softstart with a bypass contactor. I plan to run 2 parallel 500 mcm cables per phase. However, I am having a hard time finding distribution for the circuits. I will need to be able to get 6 500 mcm cables per phase together. Softstart, contactor, and disconnect do not offer lugs that will meet my needs. I will need a distribution block before the starter/contactor and after for the motor to tie into.

Anyone know any blocks out there or other options?

Thanks

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hi all,
I have a customer who wants a 400 HP motor on a softstart with a bypass contactor. I plan to run 2 parallel 500 mcm cables per phase. However, I am having a hard time finding distribution for the circuits. I will need to be able to get 6 500 mcm cables per phase together. Softstart, contactor, and disconnect do not offer lugs that will meet my needs. I will need a distribution block before the starter/contactor and after for the motor to tie into.

Thanks
Run how ever many wires you want from the source point to the motor. Use Polaris connectors at each end to run whatever size will fit. If you are running a lot of conductors to reduce VD, it won't matter any if the last few feet on each end has fewer wires.

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
How about putting lugs on the conductors, using stud-type distribution blocks and bolting the lugged conductors to the distribution blocks and breakers, and contactors?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Hi all,

Thanks
That’s usually a flag that something along the line wasn’t designed right. This wouldn’t happen to be a fire pump and the wire is being sized for the ocp?