Rocket ship

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Bit off base here but an area EC I do occasional PLC, VFD work for has been given a job to create a Cockpit area for a child's playroom. The customer is supplying a variety of buttons, switched, lights etc. We get to make them do whatever we want. One of the options is a sound loop or two or three.. portraying, liftoff, flight, etc. The HMI i have used in the past is capable but pricey. Any ideas for what might work?

ModbusMan

Occupation
Building Automation Engineer
Any particular budget you have in mind, and are we talking toddlers, pre-k, or late elementary? A RPi with a LCD/TFT display could fit the bill, maybe let you do some funky graphics to go along with the sound...

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Search for >programmable response buzzer<. At least some of them plug into your computer and let you download one or more sounds. Ones I've used will play each sound in order, one sound per button press. Only possible problem in your situation is the size- they're about the same as the "That was easy!" buttons from Staples.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Any particular budget you have in mind, and are we talking toddlers, pre-k, or late elementary? A RPi with a LCD/TFT display could fit the bill, maybe let you do some funky graphics to go along with the sound...
IDK the age bracket but no display in the room. LEDs, bass shakers on chairs, switches, PBs. Budget….I could have wired about 3 FHA homes back when.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Be sure to include a sub-woofer for lift-off.
On our honeymoon my wife and I visited the Kennedy Space Center in Florida. We took the tour that included a mockup of the flight control area. The did a simulated launch. I'm not sure what they used, but we definitely got some "good vibrations" during the demo.

MattG0311

Occupation
Apprentice Wireman
My apprenticeship class has been messing around with smart relays, Schneider Zelio’s.

They can be had for a couple hundred bucks and are very simple to program. The ones we have I think are 16 inputs and 8 outputs.

PaulMmn

Occupation
My oldest made her youngest sister a play house out of a big card board box. Complete with a colored TV. Kept her busy for a week or so and the other for weeks.
And then there's the fort made out of the sofa cushions... and the tent out of a sheet over 4 dining room chairs or the card table.... it's the thought (ie imagination) that counts. And how 'bout romping around the living room when the volcano erupts and you can't touch the floor??

PaulMmn

Occupation
On our honeymoon my wife and I visited the Kennedy Space Center in Florida. We took the tour that included a mockup of the flight control area. The did a simulated launch. I'm not sure what they used, but we definitely got some "good vibrations" during the demo.
The "Rocket to Mars" at Disneyland had you seated in the rocket for takeoff-- and takeoff pushed you into your seats (which lowered about an inch or so to make sure you felt the takeoff).

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
Arduino units are pretty easy to code and the resources available to learn are great.

Raspberry Pi is a bit more complicated but you can grab and OS, preloaded, and work off that.