Sealing cable gland needed? (Class I Div II)

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I was referencing a purged enclosure, with 120vac in it, in a classified area. Not the solenoid itself, its already epoxy poured/sealed
It isn't relevant to the OP. However, see Section 501.15(B)(2) Ex No 3. In the case you described, an enclosure seal most likely wouldn't be needed if the pressure/purge system were appropriately designed. I say, “most likely”, because I don’t know the full scope of the design.
In 2014 we had an Arc Flash audit that required us to purge our enclosures, with 120 in them.
Honestly, this sounds like overkill by someone not fully qualified to make the call. Again, to be fair, I don’t know the underlying reasoning that would lead to requiring purging an enclosure simply because it had 120V in it or how an arc flash study would lead to it.

4-20mA

an analog man in a digital world
Occupation
Instrumentation & Electrical
Me either, which is mostly why I asked. Thanks for the reference though. My bad for derailing the thread

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Here is a link to a Topic on wiring in oxygen enriched atmospheres:

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I responded in that thread also and said:
Oxygen enrichment can obviously exacerbate the conditions in an already classified location, but it alone will not create one.
I reviewed NFPA 53, Section 7.7 and found that using Division 1 installations [sic] techniques wouldn’t make any difference, especially in light of the explanatory material in Appendix A, Section A.7.7.1
It has been my observation over the years that many people not sufficiently familiar with proper Hazardous Location practices will opt for excess both classifying a location and installing more than necessary.