SkyPlug

tank728

Occupation
Electrician
I agree a great idea. We are in sore need of better standardization for lighting. While nice their receptacle has support for a 3 wire it would be nice to have 5 wire. Commercial lighting typically uses 0-10 volt for dimming. Definitely don’t want to loose the 3 wire either for battery backed up fixtures

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
While it may be a good idea, it should not be a code requirement. That company submitted PIs to require the use of this product for all lighting outlets.
If you want to use it, fine, but don't force me to use it.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
While it may be a good idea, it should not be a code requirement. That company submitted PIs to require the use of this product for all lighting outlets.

Of course they did. :rolleyes: Who do they think they are, Leviton?

My feelings are that you wire the receptacle or you wire the fixture. Dunno about you, but I only changed my dining room fixture once since the house was built in 1955.

Might be a good idea for a lighting showroom...

-Hal

4x4dually

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Ex-Electrician
Looks like a good idea to me as long as it's built to hold some weight. I wonder how stable it is for ceiling fans. The only draw back I see is that the video shows a 3-wire unit, but then I found this page and it shows a 4-wire. Looks like it was well thought out but I'd want one in my hands to touch before being sold. https://skyplug.com/products/#overview