Smoke's, CO, and heat detectors

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
What is the consensus on the best brand........or are they all the same.

I am looking at both hard wired and battery powered smoke's, CO's and heat detectors. 1960s house so it has some battery and some hard wired in two more recent additions.

I suggested all hard wired but the HO doesn't want the added expense.

Massachusetts allows battery in the original construction and hard wired in the newer additions. These are all replacements. TY

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I like the kiddie wireless interconnect smoke and smoke/CO combo units.

They're available in hardwired and battery powered, so you can mix and match.

I don't know anything about any heat detectors

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Heat detectors are used with fire alarm systems, ie a red panel with heats, water flow, etc inputs.
Kidde seems to be most common at wholesale houses, I would use what they sell

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Heat detectors are used with fire alarm systems, ie a red panel with heats, water flow, etc inputs.
Kidde seems to be most common at wholesale houses, I would use what they sell
Heat detectors are suggested (maybe required) for residential garages, too. I've never had an occasion to install one, though.

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential Electrician
Honeywell and Siemens I've seen the most of on big jobs. Kiddie's probably just fine in an old house.

As to heats, I'm trying to remember where they're usually spec'd. Wish I kept old prints. Top of stairwell or elevator shaft maybe, places where airflow might either be very restricted or be so high that smoke would be purged? I can't recall exactly. Not sure they're used in residential at all.

They're definitely less common now.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Our inspectors prefer heat over smoke in the garage if you install one there.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Heat detectors are suggested (maybe required) for residential garages, too. I've never had an occasion to install one, though.
Yes, I wired the first addition to this house back in the mid 80s and a heat detector in the garage interlocked with hardwired smokes in the addition were required.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
We seem to be bouncing around here. Are we talking about residential or commercial? Your question seems to be about residential.