To be Zinsco or not to be Zinsco. That is the question.

R. Struck

Occupation
Property Manager
I have an apartment building built in 1984/1985 with 12 main breaker boxes with meters outside. They have the brand name Sylvania on them. An electrician told me I was lucky that they were not of the brand Zinsco. However, now I see that Sylvania purchased Zinsco. Is it possible that I have some of that aluminum wiring in my breakers or was Sylvania aware of that problem when my panels were installed and my wiring is not aluminum. Please advise. Thank You! Rick

ps. I was unable to attach an image. I can insert a Dropbox link in my response but did not know if that was allowed in this forum. Also, I read the rules and regulations and am merely someone with handyman electrical skills but this issue is important for the safety of my residents and I wanted to ask professionals such as yourself if they know more about this "Zinsco" issue. Thanks again. Richard

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
The Sylvania-Zinsco electrical panels have an interesting history. Let’s delve into it:

1. Zinsco Origins:
  2. Sylvania Acquisition:
  3. Safety Concerns:
  4. Safety First:
    • Given the safety implications for your residents, I recommend consulting a qualified electrician. They can inspect your panels, assess the wiring, and provide professional guidance.
    • If you’re concerned about aluminum wiring, an electrician can verify whether your wiring is aluminum or another material.
Remember, electrical safety is paramount, and seeking professional advice is the best course of action.

R. Struck

Occupation
Property Manager
ThankYou Sir. The electrician that told me about Zinsco came to replace one of the breakers so I think I will text him and ask him. I do not believe he know specifics on the Zinsco company's products so I think I will ask him whether or not there was a clip-on connection between breakers and the aluminum bus bar. If he says no could I assume then that it is not a Zinsco product? You have given me so much information already and I would really appreciate another response from you. Thank you so much. Richard

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
... so I think I will text him and ask him. I do not believe he know specifics on the Zinsco company's products so I think I will ask him whether or not there was a clip-on connection between breakers and the aluminum bus bar. If he says no could I assume then that it is not a Zinsco product?

Any electrician with experience can spot a Zinsco panel from a mile away. No need to repeat specifics.

-Hal