Torque Screwdriver

Stevect

Occupation
Electrician
Good afternoon fellow sparkies!

I wanted to reach out and see what brands are worth looking into for torque screwdrivers, as well as brands to stay away from.

Thanks!!

brycenesbitt

@Stevect what kind of work to you do?
Consider getting two: one for screws, and another for lugs.
The torque ranges are quite different.
-
In my area the first question out of the inspector's mouth is often "show me your torque wrench",
which underscores what they want but proves nothing at all.
-
I really like the Wiha Tools TorqueVario. Buy a kit as there are various weird incompatible sizes produced due to metric/Imperial issues, but a kit will just all fit and work. German made German quality:
Wiha Torque Kit.jpg
https://www.wihatools.com/products/11-piece-insulated-torquecontrol-slimline-set
--
Note the blades are slim, 10,000V insulated, and even long enough for those Euro/DIN breakers with impossibly deep screws.

For occasional use the Vevor, a china knockoff brand, seems OK as those things go.
Torque adjustment does not require a separate tool like the Wiha.
--
Just remember you can't "check" torque by torquing the same screw again, as you'll go over.

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
@Stevect what kind of work to you do?
Consider getting two: one for screws, and another for lugs.
The torque ranges are quite different.
-
In my area the first question out of the inspector's mouth is often "show me your torque wrench",
which underscores what they want but proves nothing at all.
-
I really like the Wiha Tools TorqueVario. Buy a kit as there are various weird incompatible sizes produced due to metric/Imperial issues, but a kit will just all fit and work. German made German quality:
View attachment 2571186
https://www.wihatools.com/products/11-piece-insulated-torquecontrol-slimline-set
--
Note the blades are slim, 10,000V insulated, and even long enough for those Euro/DIN breakers with impossibly deep screws.

For occasional use the Vevor, a china knockoff brand, seems OK as those things go.
Torque adjustment does not require a separate tool like the Wiha.
--
Just remember you can't "check" torque by torquing the same screw again, as you'll go over.
That looks like a nice set. NFPA 70B says to use 90% of spec torque to check terminations.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Whia is great but somewhat overpriced. I have one of these. Nice big handle to make torquing easy.
81vjNF6FBaL._US700_.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
60 IN LB is a lot for a screwdriver style tool. My wrists hurt just thinking about it.
I only use it for small circuit breakers typcially 20 inch pounds which is fairly easy. For larger torque values I have a variety of other torque wrenches.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Has anyone tested their 'calibrated hand' vs a torque screwdriver? And the winner is....

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
Has anyone tested their 'calibrated hand' vs a torque screwdriver? And the winner is....
Yes. And yes, most torque wrenches are not very good.
As "they" say..
It ain't the arrow, its the indian.
Unless the indian is cross eyed, then neither really matter... just do not be the target.

User Name

Occupation
Electrician
I'm using the Gearwrench brand I got it from Home depot, its great! Use it on everything. I've got 2, one does 10-25 in lbs, and the other does like 25-50 in lbs. So I've got my bases covered. They're weren't too expensive, $150 each? They're really fast to adjust, and I'll double check them from time to time with just my screwdriver, if you torque it to spec that's all the further it will go. Klien has one thats supposed to be pretty good, but expensive, and at the time I wanted one, no one had it. I started with a Masterforce brand from Menards, then got the gearwrench, they were pretty spot on with each other. The masterforce one only costing like $60.

I also picked up Gearwrench's digital torque wrench, that works pretty good too. Though I don't use it much anymore. Most the big stuff like Line lugs call for 250 in lbs, its all I've got to muscle it to 250 so any more I don't worry to much about that, just get it good and tight.

TwistLock

Occupation
Electrician
I don’t know if it’s true for all, but Ive always been told torque wrenches are more accurate in their mid range if that matters to you.

Once had a long conversation with the head tech at CDI / SnapOn and when he does service calls to large clients (aerospace etc) he say he finds digital variations holding their spec far better & longer - (but these are cases where it’s typical to go hundreds of cycles in a few days).

There’s some good youtube channels that are dedicated to testing torque wrenches that I’ve found very enlightening and I recommend searching.

You’ll most likely end up with the ‘screwdriver’ body type but I like to also have traditional wrench/ratchet handles (for higher in.lb. ranges) or the screwdriver type that either comes with a lever handle or allows for a right angle handle to snap on (speaking of that SnapOn has one (ATECHMS80FK ?) $$$ that is digital and has that detachable right angle handle ( I think CDI makes it for them).

The Whia’s are very popular but it’s worth noting that you don’t send them in for calibration (sure they can be tested but not adjusted) instead you send in the handle with proof of purchase and pay $$$ (I’ve forgotten but I think is was over a $100 + shipping) and they just send you a new handle.

Read the instructions for whatever you get to see how the mfg recommends the unit be stored. Most wrench type will loose calibration if not dialed down to lowest torque before storing for any extended period of time.

If you get any metal bodied ¼” drive style I highly recommend getting one of these to throw in the bag - Crescent - EShok-Guard 1/4" Socket Isolator (CAEAD316).

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have two beam type torque wrenches from way way back. I only use them to check my click type wrenches once a year or so.

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician

TwistLock

Occupation
Electrician
Here's what I have. I really like the T-handle. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GYQDDYY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 The insulator is handy, too. https://www.amazon.com/CRESCENT-APE...2b-ad10-8dc00c54a805&pd_rd_i=B08SPG9ZB8&psc=1 You will want long bits, which can be hard to find. The Wiha in post #4 sure does look good. If I had it to do over, I think that's the way I would go.

View attachment 2571203 View attachment 2571204

For this style Screwdriver / Hex bit you might prefer another version of the Crescent Apex isolator - the CAEBH2C. LINK