Undergound Work...

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I'm a little confused by what scope may be underslab. Below is a basement floor plan.

They say floor boxes receptacles etc. embedded in slab. I want to make sure they aren't also pertaining to devices on the wall. I know it does not say thar but I'm curious could you feed these from underslab conduits? Would that make sense or would be overhead or IN SLAB? Thanks.

1714576216041.png
1714576171489.png

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
We didn't use stub ups very often. Too easy to miss the wall or find out it was moved 4".

For those that do it every day, no big deal.
So are you saying you can feed the wall devices from UNDER SLAB or would it make more sense to run conduit IN SLAB or overhead?

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential EC
I'm reading #2 to indicate primarily furniture feeds, not literally everything. For #1 I'm missing prints. You can always send an email to double check with the GC when you're finishing up your bid.

Use slab for large feeders to save copper, as it's more of a straight shot usually. Also save on building racks or other supports.
Furniture, no other option for clean look.
Everything else is hung or in walls.

As to this print, I'd think just the furniture feeds or middle-room floor quad receptacles would be slab fed.

Anything that can get easily moved around, still consider hanging it. A major equipment room probably won't move or be a big issue if it shifts a foot, but a subpanel just inside a random interior wall, I'd hang that pipe.
If they move the furniture on you, you have to cut trenches into the finished slab, but make sure you can without weakening it when it invariably comes up.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Would it be practrical to run conduits IN THE SLAB(not under) to feed receptacles in the wall as shown in pic above? I assume either surface mounted conduit or in wall conduit would make more sense.

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential EC
Why would you want to do that? Daisy chained outlets in slab?
If anything changes its a headache.
If your layout is off its a headache.
Thwn too, no?
Running through (metal?) Studs is not hard, how much labor are you saving best case?
Making a headache for framers too.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Why would you want to do that? Daisy chained outlets in slab?
If anything changes its a headache.
If your layout is off its a headache.
Thwn too, no?
Running through (metal?) Studs is not hard, how much labor are you saving best case?
Making a headache for framers too.
Don't think it is metal studs but rather block wall but all what you have mentioned makes sense.

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential EC
Ah I see zoomed in, it's quite blurry, some is masonry yes and in "fancy people" spaces where they don't like exposed pipe and might want flush mounts even.
It's worth asking the GC. Those fancy space walls might be furred out into drywall and this is a non-issue; other spaces run exposed of course.
Trying to get flush mounts into masonry walls is a chore. I would want to know that beforehand, especially since it's a good portion of the outlets, it bumps the difficulty modifier up considerably. Running in a furred wall or on exposed cement is fairly standard, this will make a huge difference to how you factor labor.

Last edited: