Wet Fish tape

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I just bought my own and what amazed me was my boss backed up the guy using it for a drain snake and then he laughed about it. I'm looking for another place to work, I ain't taking chances
I'm surprised I read a whole page and didn't see a single person state, "so what?" about using it in a wet situation. I use a fish tape in underground conduits all the time and wet and covered with wet sand is the norm. If you want to complain, it should be that he didn't properly maintain the company's tools properly. I 100% agree that it is your job, when you use it, to make sure it is functional and that may include dry.

garbo

I'm surprised I read a whole page and didn't see a single person state, "so what?" about using it in a wet situation. I use a fish tape in underground conduits all the time and wet and covered with wet sand is the norm. If you want to complain, it should be that he didn't properly maintain the company's tools properly. I 100% agree that it is your job, when you use it, to make sure it is functional and that may include dry.
We never used a wet fish tape when fishing to or from an energized panel especially 480 volt panels. Have used fish tape in the rain on outdoor conduit runs to either non energized panel or between pull boxes or to NEMA 4 boxes get a rush job done. Worked in a slaughter house and large candy plant that had nightly high pressure wash downs and plenty of tripped breakers & blown fuses caused by water shorting out things.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You are correct . WD40 is much better then oil. Have a few 50 year old tools in my garage that rust up and will apply WD 40 on them overnight then wipe it off and reapply another coat. Not the best product for freeing up rusted on nuts or fasteners.
WD40 = Water Displacement formula #40. It is great for drying things, but it will evaporate completely and not leave a protective film, which may be needed if a tool is stored in a humid environment.
There is a WD40 product that includes liquid silicone that does leave a lubricating and protective film.

garbo

WD40 = Water Displacement formula #40. It is great for drying things, but it will evaporate completely and not leave a protective film, which may be needed if a tool is stored in a humid environment.
There is a WD40 product that includes liquid silicone that does leave a lubricating and protective film.
Dooky water?????
That made me laugh! 😃

Ron
We were told to never shake a plumbers hand until you finished your lunch.