Winery / Wine Cave

Xamacho

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
Hello all,

I am a EE PE who specializes in PV & ESS design, but was asked to consult on a Wine Cave (Crushing / destemming above ground, fermentation in the cave). Whereas I love staying in my comfort zone of PV, I felt compelled to research all applicable codes and standards for this client. I will say, I provided analysis and design for a distillery, so I have a little experience. The cave portion will not be open to the public, but phase two calls for a wine tasting room above ground.

What I am asking today is mainly to pointed in the correct direction for all applicable codes and standards, for instance but not limited to:
-fire suppression
-ventilation
-explosion proof components
-means of egress

Thank you and I look forward to the expert knowledge of this forum,

Michael Camacho

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Hello all,

I am a EE PE who specializes in PV & ESS design, but was asked to consult on a Wine Cave (Crushing / destemming above ground, fermentation in the cave). Whereas I love staying in my comfort zone of PV, I felt compelled to research all applicable codes and standards for this client. I will say, I provided analysis and design for a distillery, so I have a little experience. The cave portion will not be open to the public, but phase two calls for a wine tasting room above ground.

What I am asking today is mainly to pointed in the correct direction for all applicable codes and standards, for instance but not limited to:
-fire suppression
-ventilation
-explosion proof components
-means of egress

Thank you and I look forward to the expert knowledge of this forum,

Michael Camacho
Is the cave above ground, built into a hillside, or an underground vault? You need to be careful that there is someplace for any sprinkler water to drain out of the fire area so you don't create a drowning hazard for the occupants.

Xamacho

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
Is the cave above ground, built into a hillside, or an underground vault? You need to be careful that there is someplace for any sprinkler water to drain out of the fire area so you don't create a drowning hazard for the occupants
I am visiting the cave in a couple days, but I believe it is an underground vault. Is it required to have fire suppression in the cave portion? The cave portion (underground) will have two zones - fermentation in one half, barrel storage in the other half. While there, I will inspect the premises for drainage and pump systems.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I am visiting the cave in a couple days, but I believe it is an underground vault. Is it required to have fire suppression in the cave portion? The cave portion (underground) will have two zones - fermentation in one half, barrel storage in the other half. While there, I will inspect the premises for drainage and pump systems.
I'm not certain what the occupancy for this setup might be. I assume there is an architect, and that would be his job to determine. The need for fire suppression is driven by the local codes for the defined occupancy. On a technical basis, it should go back to "What is the potential fire load and what are the potential initiating sources?" Stainless steel fermentation tanks full of mostly water are a low risk for fire, in my opinion. I can't say for sure of my own knowledge, but I doubt the wine is going to be flammable, and Mr. Google apparently agrees. For the barrel storage, while the wood is combustible it isn't really arranged in the ideal configuration to support a good fire. Unless you pour gasoline on the barrels. I'm going to suggest that fire protection for this enterprise be limited to a fire alarm system with smoke detectors and notification appliances with central station monitoring.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I'm not certain what the occupancy for this setup might be. I assume there is an architect, and that would be his job to determine. The need for fire suppression is driven by the local codes for the defined occupancy. On a technical basis, it should go back to "What is the potential fire load and what are the potential initiating sources?" Stainless steel fermentation tanks full of mostly water are a low risk for fire, in my opinion. I can't say for sure of my own knowledge, but I doubt the wine is going to be flammable, and Mr. Google apparently agrees. For the barrel storage, while the wood is combustible it isn't really arranged in the ideal configuration to support a good fire. Unless you pour gasoline on the barrels. I'm going to suggest that fire protection for this enterprise be limited to a fire alarm system with smoke detectors and notification appliances with central station monitoring.
There ya go.