Food truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got to do a intersecting job of wiring a food truck. Couple questions is it has capablity of a generator feed or service from Home Depot. My question is does the portable generator need a ground rod trying to understand 250.34. Also I use number 2 copper soow cord and put it on a 90 buy the way the code reads about not being able to use a next higher breaker size. Also I bonded the frame and was that needed.

I got to do a intersecting job of wiring a food truck. Couple questions is it has capablity of a generator feed or service from Home Depot. My question is does the portable generator need a ground rod trying to understand 250.34. Also I use number 2 copper soow cord and put it on a 90 buy the way the code reads about not being able to use a next higher breaker size. Also I bonded the frame and was that needed.

If you follow all the conditions listed in 250.34 (A) or (B), you don't need a grounding electrode. But.. make sure the generator has a neutral/ground bond and that nothing in the truck does. I assume you're using 4-conductor SOOW for this thing. Is it hard-wired to the truck (with SOOW cord) or plug-connected? (What kind of plug?)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The NEC does not cover vehicles as far as I know. I wired one a year ago-- used emt and set a panel-- no way to drive a rod ----

iwire

Staff member
FWIW it can be a can of worms.

Who is inspecting the work? Is it going to be inspected in each location?

If you not having it inspected and something goes wrong, say someone works on it after you who will be held accountable?

Just some things to think about.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
FWIW it can be a can of worms.

Who is inspecting the work? Is it going to be inspected in each location?

If you not having it inspected and something goes wrong, say someone works on it after you who will be held accountable?

Just some things to think about.

Also, there are other rules besides the NEC that needs to be considered since:

This is a licensed motor vehicle.

Not just a vehicle, a truck.

And not just a truck, one that carries food.

And if it's not a farm truck, it is one that may be engaged in the commerce, transportation and sale of said food.

Said transportation is probably going to be done on public roadways and highways.

kwired

Electron manager
The NEC does not cover vehicles as far as I know. I wired one a year ago-- used emt and set a panel-- no way to drive a rod ----
You would have to drive an awful lot of rods and very quickly, while the truck is traveling down the road:thumbsup:

Also, there are other rules besides the NEC that needs to be considered since:

This is a licensed motor vehicle.

Not just a vehicle, a truck.

And not just a truck, one that carries food.

And if it's not a farm truck, it is one that may be engaged in the commerce, transportation and sale of said food.

Said transportation is probably going to be done on public roadways and highways.

Those are rules that could come up, many of which may have little to do with wiring methods involved.

kwired

Electron manager
All I could find was 250.34 (B) for vehicle mounted generators.

Art. 551 does cover recreational vehicles.

90.2(B)(1) disqualifies vehicles from NEC applications:

(B) Not Covered. This Code does not cover the following:
(1) Installations in ships, watercraft other than floating buildings, railway rolling stock, aircraft, or automotive vehicles other than mobile homes and recreational vehicles

shortcircuit2

You better make sure that generator has a neutral to ground bond. If not you could have any metal part of the electrical equipment or the truck come live without setting off the overcurrent device. You should also bond the generator frame to the vehicle frame, etc.

Not all portable generators come with a neutral to ground bond.

Anyone disagree?

kwired

Electron manager
You better make sure that generator has a neutral to ground bond. If not you could have any metal part of the electrical equipment or the truck come live without setting off the overcurrent device. You should also bond the generator frame to the vehicle frame, etc.

Not all portable generators come with a neutral to ground bond.

Anyone disagree?

If generator is "ungrounded" you won't have a "live" truck frame. There has to be a ground reference to have that. You only will have such a reference after you develop the first ground fault, then whichever conductor has faulted becomes the grounded conductor. Equipment grounding conductor is still there to ensure continuity of all non current carrying components, whether it is connected to a source conductor or not. Overcurrent device will open if a second conductor becomes faulted.

shortcircuit2

If generator is "ungrounded" you won't have a "live" truck frame. There has to be a ground reference to have that. You only will have such a reference after you develop the first ground fault, then whichever conductor has faulted becomes the grounded conductor. Equipment grounding conductor is still there to ensure continuity of all non current carrying components, whether it is connected to a source conductor or not. Overcurrent device will open if a second conductor becomes faulted.

I agree with your post.

But my opinion is that the vehicle chassis should be bonded to the generator. I base this on 551.30(A) which applies to RV's, which would be similar. If it wasn't, then the chassis could become live without this reference. I would also say that generators listed for use in RV's will have a neutral to frame bond inside the unit.

The frame is bonded to the panel. Which either can be feed from a generator or Home Depot. Have to check generator for neutral and ground bond. Also the contractor at Home Depot drove a ground rod for the truck.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree with your post.

But my opinion is that the vehicle chassis should be bonded to the generator. I base this on 551.30(A) which applies to RV's, which would be similar. If it wasn't, then the chassis could become live without this reference. I would also say that generators listed for use in RV's will have a neutral to frame bond inside the unit.
I refer you back to post 10 and 90.2(B)(1). Automobiles are not covered under NEC except for RV's. This is not an RV.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
... I would also say that generators listed for use in RV's will have a neutral to frame bond inside the unit.
By "listed", do you mean UL 1248, Engine-Generator Assemblies for Use in Recreational Vehicles?

If so, there is no such requirement in UL1248.

ice

Status
Not open for further replies.