just wondering if this is acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

69gp

Went back to a job that we had going on for a few months and found out that another contractor had changed out a few transformers in the boiler room. The install looks good but I was just curious if the ground wires were installed properly. The reason for the change out was to install new energy efficient ones. I was brought up in the trade always being told the following. When running a ground wire in the open from an enclosure that as soon as you leave the enclosure say via a chase nipple that you always installed a ground bushing. Next I was always told that if you run a ground wire in a conduit that you always install a bonding bushing on the end to ground the conduit. I was told that if you did not do this that the conduit would act like a choke and not let the fault go to ground. is there any truth to this.

I only bring this up as I have attached a few pictures of the install showing the new transformers with the grounding.

IMG_20141009_105821276_HDR.jpg

Ground wire passing through the side of the transformer via reducing washers and a plastic connector

IMG_20141009_105644285.jpg

Ground wires exiting conduit via a plastic connector this is typical for both ends. The conduit is about 20' long and has no other ground attached to it. Is this ok?

thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would add that the cord grip fitting is not listed for the use shown in the photo's.

Status
Not open for further replies.