Concrete Encased Electrode within footer poured on gravel

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Nope. Case by case. 90.4 Enforcement.
Maybe understandable, but you just said "undisturbed soil", then potentially shot down my description of instances of "disturbed soil" Inconsistency from an inspector is something that makes enemies with the contractors real fast.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Maybe understandable, but you just said "undisturbed soil", then potentially shot down my description of instances of "disturbed soil" Inconsistency from an inspector is something that makes enemies with the contractors real fast.

No inconsistency.

You can always use a CEE (I guess if it doesn't meet the conditions it is not really a CEE). It is that the AHJ may not require it be bonded per 250.50 if it doesn't meet 250.52(A)(3).

Informational Note: Concrete installed with insulation, vapor
barriers, films or similar items separating the concrete
from the earth is not considered to be in ?direct contact?
with the earth.

Why I used 90.4.

kwired

Electron manager
No inconsistency.

You can always use a CEE (I guess if it doesn't meet the conditions it is not really a CEE). It is that the AHJ may not require it be bonded per 250.50 if it doesn't meet 250.52(A)(3).

Informational Note: Concrete installed with insulation, vapor
barriers, films or similar items separating the concrete
from the earth is not considered to be in ?direct contact?
with the earth.

Why I used 90.4.
I understand insulating material being a reason to not call it a CEE, but not fill soils.

You can always connect a conductor to the CEE, but if it is not a qualifying CEE for any reason you must use at least one other electrode and if none are available you have to use rod, pipe, ground ring, your disqualifying this as a qualifying electrode makes a difference as to what else may need to be provided.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I understand insulating material being a reason to not call it a CEE, but not fill soils.

You can always connect a conductor to the CEE, but if it is not a qualifying CEE for any reason you must use at least one other electrode and if none are available you have to use rod, pipe, ground ring, your disqualifying this as a qualifying electrode makes a difference as to what else may need to be provided.

Correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.