Equipment Bonding Jumper verses Equipment Grounding Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I thank the group for giving me and my electricians the history behind the EBJ and EBC.
Because these electricians look at the NEC as God's word...I wanted to have them see that the NEC is constantly a work in progress.
The CMP as you clarified doesn't always see eye to eye and that is what my electricians needed to understand and see this.
I hope none of us end up on the concrete crew.
As long as they have the six basic grounding principles in place at the first point of entrance and at the separately derived systems personnel and property should be properly protected.
Keep me informed of anything I might have left out in this thread.
Thank you Mike Holt all of your wonderful powerpoint presentations of grounding verses bonding to make this job of understanding easier
follower of your work since 1994
I like your approach. Care to list your six basic principles?

The Equipment Grounding Conductor serves 2 distinct functions.

1. It connects all ungrounded metallic parts to the earth via the bond to the grounding electrode conductor at the service.
2. It a path for the ground fault to follow to the source, facilitating the opening of the overcurrent device.
(see the revised definition in Art 100 of the 2014 NEC, as well as the informational note following it.)

Most people associate it with #2.

I also believe it would serve better purpose to change the name to EBC, but there is still some resistance due to the above statement I have provided.

vergeront

Six Principle parts to an Effective grounding system

Six Principle parts to an Effective grounding system

I give the students at the beginning of the grounding and bonding class a very simple drawing I got from Ronald P. O' Riley from Electrical Grounding Book based on the 1999 NEC he used stick figures and simple diagrams to explain everything. Very simple but effective his diagram was of a service enclosure with a Buss Bar that had arrows to the Main Bonding, Grounded Conductor, Grounding Electrode Conductor, Equipment Grounding Conductor. I have added the grounding electrode and supply-side bonding jumper. So there are now six parts to the effective grounding system at the first point of entrance. I use this also for the separately derived system at the X0 of the transformer. I beg the forgiveness of anyone I may offend but I call this simple diagram the "G" spot of effect grounding. Ronald P. O'Riley called it the Bull's Eye for effective grounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.