Attached Garage Main Disco, house sub = main. EGC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikewillnot

Occupation
electrical contractor
Current situation: 2008 NEC. Attached garage. 100-amp Main Disconnect in garage. @60' sub-feed cable to 20-space panel in main section of house, finished basement. One #6 EGC (secondary?) from main disconnect to nearby ground rod. Another EGC (primary?) from sub-panel to nearby cold water pipe, with a jumper around the water meter.

I had one inspector tell me that a new primary (?) EGC from sub-panel ground bar to municipal water pipe meets current code. This even though not literally continuous, it relies on the ground conductor in the sub-feed cable and the approved connections in each enclosure.

I had another inspector tell me the exact opposite, that a whole new EGC must run from the main disconnect to the water pipe (and, presumably, remove the existing older EGC from sub-panel to nearby cold water pipe).

Opinions?

THX

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It being an attached garage it's all one structure and all grounding electrodes should be connected to the service (250.24(A)(1) ).The only "ground" to you sub-panel would be the EGC from the service panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.