Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attached Garage Main Disco, house sub = main. EGC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attached Garage Main Disco, house sub = main. EGC?

Current situation: 2008 NEC. Attached garage. 100-amp Main Disconnect in garage. @60' sub-feed cable to 20-space panel in main section of house, finished basement. One #6 EGC (secondary?) from main disconnect to nearby ground rod. Another EGC (primary?) from sub-panel to nearby cold water pipe, with a jumper around the water meter.

I had one inspector tell me that a new primary (?) EGC from sub-panel ground bar to municipal water pipe meets current code. This even though not literally continuous, it relies on the ground conductor in the sub-feed cable and the approved connections in each enclosure.

I had another inspector tell me the exact opposite, that a whole new EGC must run from the main disconnect to the water pipe (and, presumably, remove the existing older EGC from sub-panel to nearby cold water pipe).

Opinions?

THX
    Last edited by mikewillnot; 06-19-15, 07:57 AM.

It being an attached garage it's all one structure and all grounding electrodes should be connected to the service (250.24(A)(1) ).The only "ground" to you sub-panel would be the EGC from the service panel.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Comment

Working...
    X