different portable generator configurations

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffgreef

Hi Folks-

Some portable generators have a neutral bonded to ground, some have a 'floating' neutral that is not bonded to anything. I'm clear on how to use each as an alternate source of power, switch neutral or don't switch neutral, bond at generator or retain bond at service. That's not my question. Question is-

Do some portable generators lack a neutral altogether? I hear a rumor that some generator winding configurations lack use of a neutral at all- so I guess 120v would be achieved with two 60v legs (like some small inverters). But I don't know. If such generators exist they cannot be used to power up a circuit panel, only for running appliances directly off the generator outlets.

Do such generator configurations exist?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
A listed portable generator, 15 kW or less, is required to have a frame to neutral bond. The listing also requires these generators to be installed as a Separately Derived System when used to supply power to a building. This information comes from the UL Guide Information for "Engine Generators for Portable Use (FTCN).

That being said, there is no requirement that a portable generator be listed and you can find portable generators that do not have a frame to neutral bond.

I don't know that 120 volt generators have two 60 volt windings connected in series....I though they just had a single 120 volt winding but have never really checked.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Such generators exist (essentially two 60V hots w/no neutral)

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...1-portable-generator-shore-power-issue.html#b

See post #8.
Now show me what the U ground is connected to...you could get that same voltage reading with a "floated" ground especially where there is no load on a generator. Some generators don't have any frame to neutral connection and the U ground is connected to the frame, making it "floated" with respect to the two slots on the receptacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.