New Isolated Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does the IG stay isolated when it is connected to multiple pieces of equipment on a metal rack?

Every data center I've been in has a bonding wire to the rack, the rack/cabinet is bolted to the raised floor (and it's frame is bonded), the PDU has an EGC from it's source, and the actual computers connect the EGC to their chassis. Which is bolted into the cabinet. If you run all of those bonding connections back to a single connection, and if everything is insulated from the GES, then you have a single point ground, but I wouldn't call that an isolated ground.

And no, I don't think I'm confused about what an isolated ground is (see also 250.96(B), 250.146(D), and 406.3), but I'm not going to get into the semantics and writing style.

iwire

Staff member
Every data center I've been in has a bonding wire to the rack, the rack/cabinet is bolted to the raised floor (and it's frame is bonded), the PDU has an EGC from it's source, and the actual computers connect the EGC to their chassis. Which is bolted into the cabinet. If you run all of those bonding connections back to a single connection, and if everything is insulated from the GES, then you have a single point ground, but I wouldn't call that an isolated ground.

Which is what I see as well.

But I also see folks insist on IGs and IG outlets at each rack outlet which to me is foolish as they all become common at the rack as soon as you plug equipment in there.

cuba_pete

Help me out here.

How does the IG stay isolated when it is connected to multiple pieces of equipment on a metal rack?

This is another case where the language and nomenclature used by the NEC, electricians, engineers, laymen, etc. gets confusing.

Of the 14 times that the term "isolated ground(ing)" appears in the 2014 NEC, almost exclusively followed by "receptacle".

Excerpted from the NEC:
250.96(B) Isolated Grounding Circuits
406.3(D) Isolated Grounding Conductor
406.3(D)(2) Exception: Isolated Ground Receptacle
517.16 Isolated Ground Receptacle
250.146(D) Isolated Ground Receptacles
406.3(D) Isolated Ground Receptacles
406.3(D)(2) Isolated Ground Receptacles
517.16 Isolated Ground Receptacles
640.7(C) Isolated Ground Receptacles
647.7(B) Isolated Ground Receptacles
640.7(C) Isolated Grounding-type Receptacles
645.15 Informational Note No. 2: Isolated Grounding-type Receptacles
250.184(B) Single-Point Grounded Neutral System

Whereas the only time that the term "Isolated Ground" is found alone in the 2014 NEC is in the Index, and actually refers to section 517.16 which is, you guessed it, a section on "Use of Isolated Ground Receptacles":

Index Isolated Ground 517.16 (section actually titled) "Use of Isolated Ground Receptacles"

However...

The term single point ground:

250.184 single point grounded
250.184(B)(1) Single-Point Grounded Neutral System
250.184(B)(1)b. Single-Point Grounded Neutral System

And "single point" where relevant to the discussion:
250.30(A)(1) single point

A complete Single Point grounding scheme is not fully (or even at all...) explained in the NEC.

Learning is for school. The NEC just gives us the minimum standards allowable for a "safe" installation (according to the insurance-industry-driven NFPA). There is a lot more to electrical theory, practice and the resultant installation than what is found in the NEC.

...but I digress...

An isolated ground receptacle (250.146 (D)) means that the ground is not continuous to the mounting of the receptacle. It is literally isolated from the box and is not, when made fast, bonded nor continuous to the box, raceway, and all other items which are bonded...at that point. At the point where the grounds come together, the single point, is where the system is then made electrically safe and meets the intended need of the system in reducing noise or for other purposes as necessary.

A single point ground merely utilizes isolated ground receptacles to achieve the overall system isolation. This allows the boxes, raceways, etc. (exposed and available conductive parts) to be bonded for safety while allowing for the isolation and protection from EMF and other effects on the grounding conductor.

...again, I digress...

In your example, when connected to multiple pieces of equipment on (in) a metal rack:

The power distribution unit (receptacle), surge suppressor, power strip, etc. is provided an isolated ground receptacle with a dedicated ground which is isolated from any and all bonded raceways, enclosures, building steel, counterpoises, etc. until it reaches either the main service or separately derived service, as applicable. Equipment racks (cabinets, housings, mountings, etc.) used isolated mounting hardware to keep it clear of stray connections to any bonded equipment. A grounding bar, also isolated from the cabinet except at one point (EGC/bonding conductor) is made fast and all EGC's for all rack mounted equipment are attached there. Equipment in the cabinet may also be provided with isolation mounts if necessary (i.e., excessive noise from a power supply at a nuisance frequency), but the EGC must be maintained. All grounding bars and plates for a particular system/installation/cabinet/rack/etc., as applicable must be bonded to the same service where power is derived...this is important for obvious (and NEC derived) reasons.

There is a lot more that goes into this, but the whole point is to properly understand and then make use of Kirchoff's observations and to keep circulating currents (EMF induced or vice-versa) whether power system or equipment derived from getting into areas which they is not desired (causing problems). There are endless types of "interference" and the resultant safe and legal methods which can be used to mitigate issues are simply the best way (cheap, easy, quick...pick two) of getting the job done.

The IEEE Green (Std 142), Emerald (Std 1100), Standard 3000, and Standard 3003 lay this all out nicely. The NEC and several other documents regularly reference (quoting and interpreting) these engineering standards which can also be directly referenced for exceptional installations of equipment with a very electro-sensitive nature.

This is not hypothesis, theory, conjecture, or some sort of hit-and-miss practice. These use of these (now considered) exceptions have a proper time and place for implementation. I agree that they can and have been abused, used as band-aids, and poorly implemented by many people, but that doesn't mean that each instance is nothing but hogwash.

I have personally been utilizing single-point grounding methods for nearly 30 years, building on knowledge and practice of over 100 years in my field alone.

Works fine...lasts a long time.

kwired

Electron manager
This is another case where the language and nomenclature used by the NEC, electricians, engineers, laymen, etc. gets confusing.

Of the 14 times that the term "isolated ground(ing)" appears in the 2014 NEC, almost exclusively followed by "receptacle".

Excerpted from the NEC:

Whereas the only time that the term "Isolated Ground" is found alone in the 2014 NEC is in the Index, and actually refers to section 517.16 which is, you guessed it, a section on "Use of Isolated Ground Receptacles":

Index Isolated Ground 517.16 (section actually titled) "Use of Isolated Ground Receptacles"

However...

A complete Single Point grounding scheme is not fully (or even at all...) explained in the NEC.

Learning is for school. The NEC just gives us the minimum standards allowable for a "safe" installation (according to the insurance-industry-driven NFPA). There is a lot more to electrical theory, practice and the resultant installation than what is found in the NEC.

...but I digress...

An isolated ground receptacle (250.146 (D)) means that the ground is not continuous to the mounting of the receptacle. It is literally isolated from the box and is not, when made fast, bonded nor continuous to the box, raceway, and all other items which are bonded...at that point. At the point where the grounds come together, the single point, is where the system is then made electrically safe and meets the intended need of the system in reducing noise or for other purposes as necessary.

A single point ground merely utilizes isolated ground receptacles to achieve the overall system isolation. This allows the boxes, raceways, etc. (exposed and available conductive parts) to be bonded for safety while allowing for the isolation and protection from EMF and other effects on the grounding conductor.

...again, I digress...

In your example, when connected to multiple pieces of equipment on (in) a metal rack:

The power distribution unit (receptacle), surge suppressor, power strip, etc. is provided an isolated ground receptacle with a dedicated ground which is isolated from any and all bonded raceways, enclosures, building steel, counterpoises, etc. until it reaches either the main service or separately derived service, as applicable. Equipment racks (cabinets, housings, mountings, etc.) used isolated mounting hardware to keep it clear of stray connections to any bonded equipment. A grounding bar, also isolated from the cabinet except at one point (EGC/bonding conductor) is made fast and all EGC's for all rack mounted equipment are attached there. Equipment in the cabinet may also be provided with isolation mounts if necessary (i.e., excessive noise from a power supply at a nuisance frequency), but the EGC must be maintained. All grounding bars and plates for a particular system/installation/cabinet/rack/etc., as applicable must be bonded to the same service where power is derived...this is important for obvious (and NEC derived) reasons.

There is a lot more that goes into this, but the whole point is to properly understand and then make use of Kirchoff's observations and to keep circulating currents (EMF induced or vice-versa) whether power system or equipment derived from getting into areas which they is not desired (causing problems). There are endless types of "interference" and the resultant safe and legal methods which can be used to mitigate issues are simply the best way (cheap, easy, quick...pick two) of getting the job done.

The IEEE Green (Std 142), Emerald (Std 1100), Standard 3000, and Standard 3003 lay this all out nicely. The NEC and several other documents regularly reference (quoting and interpreting) these engineering standards which can also be directly referenced for exceptional installations of equipment with a very electro-sensitive nature.

This is not hypothesis, theory, conjecture, or some sort of hit-and-miss practice. These use of these (now considered) exceptions have a proper time and place for implementation. I agree that they can and have been abused, used as band-aids, and poorly implemented by many people, but that doesn't mean that each instance is nothing but hogwash.

I have personally been utilizing single-point grounding methods for nearly 30 years, building on knowledge and practice of over 100 years in my field alone.

250.184 is in the section for over 1000 volts.

250.30 saying to connect the system bonding jumper to a single point in a separately derived system.

Service supplied systems are already grounded multiple times on the utility side if there is a grounded conductor because that is what POCO's do.

iwire

Staff member

Excerpted from the NEC:

However...

...but I digress...

...again, I digress...

So long long long post later you don't have an IG system in your lab.

Got it.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Single point grounding is a term that has multiple meanings depending on who is using it....in the NEC it really just means that there is only one connection between the grounded and grounding conductors. That would be at the main bonding jumper for a service or the system bonding jumper for a SDS.

cuba_pete

Yeah, I got it.

My main point by providing the actual documentation in the NEC is that electricians who rely solely on the NEC won't learn anything about the true nature of, or how to implement single-point grounds, nor will they learn what an isolated ground is/isn't.

Trying to apply learned logic and reasoning with one publication that isn't a valid resource can be frustrating and will not provide proper results.

Status
Not open for further replies.