MC connector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MC connector

I always used MC connectors to connect my armored ground. I used the snap in MC connector. AHJ said it was not properly bonded with that connector, this job was a service change for a solar array, Solar Company drove a ground rod by there disconnect on the other side of house and used a Romex connector with a ground bushing to bond there armored ground and that was properly bonding the MC according to the inspector, I have used Romex connectors on MC but never if the inspector can see it and only has a last resort, My GEC is water then to ground rod #4 it's about a 50 foot run. Does anybody know of a way I can bond the mc

If your snap in connector was a listed MC connecter then:

Solar guy is nuts and inspector is wrong.
    [COLOR="blue"]"Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek[/COLOR]

Comment

I'm 99 percent it's a listed MC connecter the only thing I'm concerned about is the connector is for dry location but so is MC, I'm going to the parts house this morning I will get the exact part number for the mc connector, The job is 2 hrs away that's four hrs of driving.

Comment

What code section requires any connector to be used with armored or bare GECs?

Comment

Originally posted by SAP View Post
          I'm 99 percent it's a listed MC connecter the only thing I'm concerned about is the connector is for dry location but so is MC, I'm going to the parts house this morning I will get the exact part number for the mc connector, The job is 2 hrs away that's four hrs of driving.
          Unless you have the coated/jacketed MC, your MC is not rated for a wet location. Your standard MC connector will not be either.

Derek[/COLOR]

Comment

My armored jacket of my GEC needs to be bonded on both ends

Comment

Originally posted by SAP View Post
              My armored jacket of my GEC needs to be bonded on both ends
              Getting confused here.

Do you have a piece of MC cable or a GEC in flexible metal conduit? Or a piece of MC as a GEC?

A GEC in a metallic raceway would require bonding on both ends.

Derek[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by jumper View Post
                Getting confused here.

Do you have a piece of MC cable or a GEC in flexible metal conduit? Or a piece of MC as a GEC?

A GEC in a metallic raceway would require bonding on both ends.
                A ferrous metal raceway would require bonding because of the choke effect.
                (Note to self: Do not put a ferrite choke on the GEC to reduce ground noise either! )

Comment

Originally posted by jumper View Post
                  I am going with none of the above.

I am betting the OP has bare armored copper GEC cable.

http://www.southwire.com/ProductCata...rodcatsheet261

It is not FMC, MC or NM, none of those connector types will likely be listed for bare armored ground. It is very small diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by iwire View Post

It is not FMC, MC or NM, none of those connector types will likely be listed for bare armored ground. It is very small diameter.
                    Ah, got it thanks.

Derek[/COLOR]

Comment

Sorry bout the confusion it is metallic cable with with 1 # 6 solid copper wire, I talked to Arlington, they said not only is there MC box connectors, But any manufacturers MC connectors have to be UL listed for 514.B tested for bonding and grounding thanks for the input

Comment

Sorry bout the confusion it is metallic cable with with 1 # 6 solid copper wire...
                        Originally posted by iwire View Post

I agree.

... I talked to Arlington, they said not only is there MC box connectors, But any manufacturers MC connectors have to be UL listed for 514.B tested for bonding and grounding thanks for the input
                        Thing is what you are using is not MC so what Arlington said is not applicable. I also do not agree that the armor on bare armored cable even needs to be bonded. Whatever the case I can't see an MC connector closing tight enough on that small diameter to provide a reliable connection. You usually see Romex connectors used even though they are not listed for it either because they will at least tighten on the cable.

-Hal

Comment

Can you remove armor and use Kenny clamp ? Not sure.

Comment

The Appleton 7287V 1/2" Straight Box Connector is listed for armored ground cable and NM.

https://www.platt.com/platt-electric...px?zpid=209775

Comment

Armored ground wire is in the UL White Book as KDER (it is not Armored Cable, a different classification)

2015 - 16 UL Guide Information For Electric Equipment -- The White Book

GROUNDING AND BONDING EQUIPMENT (KDER)
                              USE
                              This category covers bonding devices, ground clamps, grounding and bonding bushings and locknuts, ground rods, armored grounding wire, protector grounding wire, grounding wedges, ground clips for securing the ground wire to an outlet box, water-meter shunts, and similar equipment.

Some devices are to be assembled to wire using a special tool specified by the manufacturer. Such special tooling is identified by appropriate marking on or within the device shipping carton.

Armored Grounding Wire — Armored grounding wire consisting of a single corrosion-resistant copper, aluminum or copper-clad aluminum conductor within helically-formed steel armor is marked with the size of the conductor ‘‘Bare Armored Grounding Wire.’’

Ground Rods — Ground rods and pipe electrodes . . .
                              Another Al in Minnesota

Comment

Working...
                              X