Neutral from Power Company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kwired View Post
    230.41 exceptions tell us places it can be bare - all are on supply side of service disconnecting means though.
    I struggle to understand you sometimes.

You quoted me, then you basically repeated what I have said.

Comment

Originally posted by iwire View Post
      I struggle to understand you sometimes.

You quoted me, then you basically repeated what I have said.
      It is an NEC conductor all the way to the "service point" All you mentioned was the MGN, though some may consider it to be that to the service disconnect I guess, others may consider MGN to be on the POCO side. NEC doesn't use the term MGN (that I am aware of).

I quoted what you said to further comment on it, not to try to disprove anything that was mentioned.
      I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

It's bare because it's safe to touch it!

Really, the POCO knows what will be the maximum load current on the neutral wire based on their transformer built-in limit or other protection device on their side, say 700A max, therefore they used the correct wire size to limit the max voltage drop on the wire to be less than a few volts max (let's say 9v drop at 600A will generate more than 5000 watts of heat) to minimize energy lost. Regardless the amount of current in the wire -- 600A or 100a -- if the wire size is big enough then there is little voltage drop to harm anything. Of course it must be connected to earth ground first before it can bare.

Comment

Originally posted by kwired View Post
          ...NEC doesn't use the term MGN (that I am aware of).

It does in 250.184(C).
          Don, Illinois
          (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Comment

Working...
          X