Grounding Electrode Conductor's conduit bonding requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
The code requires the ferrous conduit (if required) to have each end bonded to the GEC, and this is not applied for the non-ferrous metal conduit. But the non-ferrous metal conduit still needs to be bonded to the Service panel for compliance. Yes or no? Could you cite the code for either case?

iwire

Staff member
The code requires the ferrous conduit (if required) to have each end bonded to the GEC, and this is not applied for the non-ferrous metal conduit. But the non-ferrous metal conduit still needs to be bonded to the Service panel for compliance. Yes or no? Could you cite the code for either case?

No.

Consider it does not even have to be a complete raceway, I might have 10' of non-ferrous conduit in the middle of a wire run to protect the GEC from physical damage. If I did the same with steel conduit I would have to bond both ends.

In real life I would use PVC instead.

No.

Consider it does not even have to be a complete raceway, I might have 10' of non-ferrous conduit in the middle of a wire run to protect the GEC from physical damage. If I did the same with steel conduit I would have to bond both ends.

In real life I would use PVC instead.

What if the GEC portion inside the panel slipped from the ground bus bar screw and landed on one of the phase bus, energized your 10' non-ferrous conduit for everyone to grasp? But you are right since code allows bare GEC without protector (when not needed).

PVC: since GEC could be a large wire, and so I think people would install it into metal conduit before bending the conduit. How would you bend PVC, or how to fish GEC thru 90 elbow?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
What if the GEC portion inside the panel slipped from the ground bus bar screw and landed on one of the phase bus, energized your 10' non-ferrous conduit for everyone to grasp? But you are right since code allows bare GEC without protector (when not needed).

PVC: since GEC could be a large wire, and so I think people would install it into metal conduit before bending the conduit. How would you bend PVC, or how to fish GEC thru 90 elbow?
Most times I leave them off.

tkb

...PVC: since GEC could be a large wire, and so I think people would install it into metal conduit before bending the conduit. How would you bend PVC, or how to fish GEC thru 90 elbow?

I have never seen wire installed in a conduit and then bent.
The conduit gets installed and then the wire gets pulled in. The bends are done the same for power or a GEC.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

That is a violation of the rules for complete conduit systems....the conduit is required to be complete from pull point to pull point before the installation of conductors. The largest GEC required by the NEC is 3/0 and you only have one GEC, we pull multiple conductors of much larger size in conduits every day, and often there are hundreds of feet of conduit between pull points.

That is a violation of the rules for complete conduit systems....the conduit is required to be complete from pull point to pull point before the installation of conductors. The largest GEC required by the NEC is 3/0 and you only have one GEC, we pull multiple conductors of much larger size in conduits every day, and often there are hundreds of feet of conduit between pull points.

This is amazing!!!

Conduit is required to be complete before installation of conductors. Is this to avoid pinching/damaging the conductors?

Status
Not open for further replies.