old panel as j-box

Status
Not open for further replies.

malize

Just fishing here since I got myself all tied up in knots with this equipment grounding issue and I seriously think I'm either under or over thinking this.

I've put in a new service and used the old panel next to it as j-box for the existing circuits after removing the guts, etc.

Anyway, the old panel has various conduits coming into it from behind finished walls to various points in the house and they obviously relied on the conduit as their ground as there are no ground wires in the conduits (done probably 20 years ago or so)

I run new romex over for these circuits, and I have no place to continue the ground wires...I would just terminate them on a ground bus but the box is metal and I'm thinking that I don't want all those different circuits grounded to the box...although they are theoretically anyway if the old circuits are relying on those conduits as grounds...

Honestly, I'm tired and just really need to stay away from this house for awhile and clear my head -- But if anyone wants to chime in and remind me why my gut is telling me I've forgotten something that'd be great.

Also, as a side question:

I ran a new water bond for the new panel and that's all cool...but this being a very big, very old house I was wondering if I should go ahead and pick up the old water bond in case there is something funky in the walls I don't know about. Should I even care?

iwire

Staff member
I would likely just install an equipment grounding bar in the old panel to land all those new bare EGCs from the new cables.

As far as the conduits I might check a few to see if the lock nuts where tight and call it a day.

Using conduits and the enclosure as an EGC is still a perfectly NEC compliant way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.