grounding and bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
Grounding takes place at the point of service. This where the GE and GEC are. Bonding is, to sorta quote MH, Hooking everything else together in a low impedance path back to the source.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Grounding takes place at the point of service. This where the GE and GEC are. Bonding is, to sorta quote MH, Hooking everything else together in a low impedance path back to the source.

That's a bit confusing.

The earth ground and the neutral are bonded at the point of service. Bonding means intentionally electrically connected together.

Grounding takes place at the grounding electrode(s) where the electrical system comes in intentional contact with the earth.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
That's a bit confusing.

The earth ground and the neutral are bonded at the point of service. Bonding means intentionally electrically connected together.

Grounding takes place at the grounding electrode(s) where the electrical system comes in intentional contact with the earth.

That's what was trying to say-:thumbsup:--I was attempting to remember how Mike put it in one of his training videos--I remembered it wrong but tried to get it close:dunce:

He said kind of the same thing about Grounding and then said something to the effect of bonding is just hooking everything else together:?

And on a side note--I take my Technician exam on June 14!!

Thanks!!

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
That's what was trying to say-:thumbsup:--I was attempting to remember how Mike put it in one of his training videos--I remembered it wrong but tried to get it close:dunce:

He said kind of the same thing about Grounding and then said something to the effect of bonding is just hooking everything else together:?

And on a side note--I take my Technician exam on June 14!!

Thanks!!

Awesome!

Let us know your call sign when you get it!

And don't forget about the practice exams on QRZ. They have helped a lot of people. I strongly recommend taking as many as you have time for.

Good Luck!! I took my Tech exam June 10th, 1994.

My, how time flies!

jumper

Awesome!

Let us know your call sign when you get it!

And don't forget about the practice exams on QRZ. They have helped a lot of people. I strongly recommend taking as many as you have time for.

Good Luck!! I took my Tech exam June 10th, 1994.

My, how time flies!

I am going to go out on a limb here and say this tech test is a ham radio type and not electrical per se.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
I am going to go out on a limb here and say this tech test is a ham radio type and not electrical per se.

Correct.

We stopped using coal burning radios years ago.

:D

'Technician' is the first (entry) level. Next is 'General' and the top of the heap is the 'Extra' class. You have to pass the Tech before you can sit for the General, and you have to pass the General before you can sit for the Extra. There are no longer any Morse Code tests. My daughter and I passed our Code tests the last year the FCC required a Morse exam. She was 12 and did better than I did. She passed her Tech when she was 11.

jumper

Correct.

We stopped using coal burning radios years ago.

:D

'Technician' is the first (entry) level. Next is 'General' and the top of the heap is the 'Extra' class. You have to pass the Tech before you can sit for the General, and you have to pass the General before you can sit for the Extra. There are no longer any Morse Code tests. My daughter and I passed our Code tests the last year the FCC required a Morse exam. She was 12 and did better than I did. She passed her Tech when she was 11.

The only FCC test I passed was hooking up two 12V batteries as an emergency back up power supply for the repeater at one of my old jobs.:)

That and remembering not to curse on the radio.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.