CSST Gas Pipe Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Looking at a house where gas pipe bonding is needed. Gas and electric come it at opposite sides of house. Just inside crawl space is gas furnace with 2 sections of CSST. Meter base is across crawl space, through garage. Garage has gas water heater with 1 section of CSST. American Gas Association says no jumper should be longer than 75 feet. I think furnace to meter exceeds that. Could I bond CSST fittings to the steel gas pipe itself, then take a main jumper from end of gas line in garage through wall to ground rod? That would be 30 feet or less, with CSST jumpers being only a few feet each. This house has no metallic water main, so all grounding is to the ground rod at meter base. With shorter distances, I would run a #6 bare cu from ground rod to furnace and tap jumpers from all CSST fittings to the bare cu with split bolts. I see nothing similar to the 5 foot rule we have on water mains, as far as the gas meter is concerned, so it looks like closest point is generally OK. How about bonding Csst fittings back to their own gas pipe?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
All you need to do is bond to the black iron pipe anywhere on the system. Since it is connected to the CSST it will also be bonded

Status
Not open for further replies.