Home Inspector and bonding CSST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I had a home inspector question my bonding of the CSST gas line. I bonded to the copper main water line within 2 feet of the entrance. He said he was not convinced it was properly bonded because the water line could change to plastic after it left the house, perhaps, somewhere between the house and the street.

I did not have a convincing response for him. I just told him that I bonded it properly and there is only so much that a guy can do?

kangaroogod

nfpa54 (fuel gas) 2008 requires a #6 copper from the closest point of entry of the black pipe into the home back to the panel. if there is no black pipe then the closest csst fitting into the home. this was changed in 2012 I believe and they now want the closest black pipe before the closest cast fitting to the panel. no ground rods, no cold water pipes ever. depending on thr juristiction, some want the old way and some want the new. the essence of the new code is that they want to reduce the length of #6 to a minimum

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
bonding

bonding

It was my understanding that the CSST can be bonded to any part of the grounding electrode system.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
From what I've seen, there's absolutely no consensus as to the best method....

Where on the gas line?
1) Entry point of house, before first fitting
2) in front of csst, nearest pipe
3) in front of csst, nearest fitting
4) on csst nut

To where?
1) main panel
2) ground rod
3) water line entry point, before first fitting
4) anywhere on any copper water pipe

I've seen every combination of the above, from city inspectors. So I don't guess, I ask.

Last one I did was #1 to #3 plus #3 to #1

Status
Not open for further replies.