bonding in 200 amp panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye23

While working in a 200a single phase panel i notice i did not see a bond to the pan. This panel was loaded with wires and could not see a green screw or find a bond from the neutral to the pan. This panel had 2 neutral/ground bars right next to each other packed with wires , also had a feed to a sub panel [4wires]. The ground rod and water pipe conductors are each terminated to different bars. Should i bond the neutral bar to the panel to be certain its bonded or would this cause another problem i am not aware of ? This is a old crouse hinds panel.

Thank you to anyone for any help here.​

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
While working in a 200a single phase panel i notice i did not see a bond to the pan. This panel was loaded with wires and could not see a green screw or find a bond from the neutral to the pan. This panel had 2 neutral/ground bars right next to each other packed with wires , also had a feed to a sub panel [4wires]. The ground rod and water pipe conductors are each terminated to different bars. Should i bond the neutral bar to the panel to be certain its bonded or would this cause another problem i am not aware of ? This is a old crouse hinds panel.

Thank you to anyone for any help here.

Take your meter and check between the neutral bar and the cabinet for continuity. There may be a screw there and you can't see it for all the wires.
If you don't find any continuity then you can add a lug then a piece of #4 to the neutral bar.

Also, the ground bar should be directly to the pan. If it is you could just run a #4 jumper from ground bar to neutral bar.
This is assuming that this is the main panel and not a subpanel. If it's a subpanel you don't bond the neutral to the can/cabinet.

hawkeye23

Yes it is the first panel after the meter. I am thinking both bars are neutral bars and the bonding screw was forgotten or removed when installing sub by mistake. Will check on tuesday and bond the panel.
Thanks again.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The equipment grounding conductor's are okay to be on the separate bar (if it is separate) however the neutrals much land on the main bar. And Yes it should be bonded to the can

Status
Not open for further replies.