Horse Barn, Equipotential Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
We have been using wool and leather for many, many years:)

yeah, but none of those animals, by that point, were being
affected by equipotential grids, or not.

all i was told about this stuff is that if you didn't ground well,
the cows won't give milk.

here's the person i was connected with in this stuff. maybe they
would be a good source of info.

http://hotstable.com/

kwired

Electron manager
But have you considered what some horses are worth & what if they put some other animals in there?:jawdrop:
I try to cover myself with people's animals.
Beef cattle, dairy cattle, pigs, etc. though they may be worth a fair amount of money are nowhere close to what some may value some race horses at. Animals that are pets only have value to their owners for the most part.

kwired

Electron manager
yeah, but none of those animals, by that point, were being
affected by equipotential grids, or not.

all i was told about this stuff is that if you didn't ground well,
the cows won't give milk.

here's the person i was connected with in this stuff. maybe they
would be a good source of info.

http://hotstable.com/
Horses around here are hobby things, pets, and occasionally working horses for ranchers. Some of them have pretty nice barns, but none like you see for the racehorse industry. Racing horses almost have nicer homes then the average US citizen has. Ranch horses just have a place that provides shelter from the extremes, still often unconditioned and with dirt floors.

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
Beef cattle, dairy cattle, pigs, etc. though they may be worth a fair amount of money are nowhere close to what some may value some race horses at. Animals that are pets only have value to their owners for the most part.

Are you saying that you would willingly install a non code compliant installation if it was a hobby farm?
I dont think that is what you are saying, but it sure seems like it.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Are you saying that you would willingly install a non code compliant installation if it was a hobby farm?
I dont think that is what you are saying, but it sure seems like it.
What I believe he is saying, if you have million dollar horses and want to pay for equipotential bonding, go for it. If you have $200 horses and don't want to pay, don't. It may not be required, so it is optional.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
But have you considered what some horses are worth & what if they put some other animals in there?:jawdrop:
I try to cover myself with people's animals.

I understand the value of horses in sentimentality and real dollars to their owners. I still don't think you need a equipotential grid in a small horse barn and I don't think you gain much with one.

iwire

Staff member
I understand the value of horses in sentimentality and real dollars to their owners. I still don't think you need a equipotential grid in a small horse barn and I don't think you gain much with one.

I can't think of a single reason why size matters in this discussion

Sahib

I have made mention of similar issues before but have come up with no real answers.

We are quoting a job on a horse barn. Has 2 concrete slabs on each side entrance with dirt floors between 4 stalls. I have no idea if the concrete has grid wire or rebar in it. I hope I don't have to break up the concrete to find out. Would it work to drill through slabs to ground and drive a rod at each? Or maybe drill sideways with a 3 foot bit and insert rebar for a longer contact surface? Or core drill a 4 inch hole, drive rebar to ground below and fill in with fresh concrete patch?

What has anyone done lately? I am also contacting head of inspections for that county for his opinion.
In my opinion if you fix a suitable copper conductor strip around concrete slabs, it will be equipotential bonding just as it is done for concrete swimming pools.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
There is no difference electrically or how the animals react to it.
But there is a difference on their exposure. Walk in a hog or dairy confinement . Wet, with the exception of dairy loafing areas. Your shoes are immediately exposed to animal waste and a lot of it. The few hobby horse barns we have in this area, you can step around the problem. Big difference.

iwire

Staff member
But there is a difference on their exposure. Walk in a hog or dairy confinement . Wet, with the exception of dairy loafing areas. Your shoes are immediately exposed to animal waste and a lot of it. The few hobby horse barns we have in this area, you can step around the problem. Big difference.

I believe you

I still don't see any difference to the NEC.

chris1971

Is EB required for a horse barn?

What's the value of the horse's? Hobby horses or racing horses worth hundreds of thousands of dollars or even millions of dollars. You bet I'd serious consider EB strictly from a Liablity stand point even if it isn't required.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
One Wagu farm's problem here is keeping them hydrated. They (cows) need to have access to , and drink all the time , or they'll loose weight .

So we try and bond everything around the waterers , thinking 4 hooves and a snout in the water, especially given most have some sort of electric heater(s)

But the biggest problem is the EB itself inducing the electric fence charger , to the point where one can even illicit via volt -tic

The best laid EB's of cows & men.....:) ~RJ~

Status
Not open for further replies.