Separate Ground Rod for Communications

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am on a project that is using the 2008 NEC. The communications riser diagram shows at least (3) locations where a pedestal mount cabinet will be set outside of the building. In each case the designer is indicating a separate ground rod at the pedestal that is not bonded back to anything. Also in all (3) cases, the only cabling going to and from these pedestals is non-conductive (dielectric) fiber. There will be at least (1) branch circuit feeding each cabinet and they will all have active communications equipment in them.

Per Section 770.100(D), I believe these ground rods must be bonded back to the electrical system ground, even though there is no electrical path back to the building via the communications cabling. AM I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Welcome to the forum.

I agree that the remote ground rod connection should be brought back to the main, or to a single point somewhere that is bonded to the main. There is an exception in the code that allows auxiliary ground rods to be left on their own, but I don't think it is a good idea.

What kind of project is this?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with you that the bonding for the communication should be connected back to the grounding electrode system. BTW. I corrected the article to 800 instead of 700

Welcome to the forum.

I agree that the remote ground rod connection should be brought back to the main, or to a single point somewhere that is bonded to the main. There is an exception in the code that allows auxiliary ground rods to be left on their own, but I don't think it is a good idea.

Thanks Dave, I would be interested to review the exception. I agree that it wouldn't be a good idea, I would just like to review for future reference. The project is at the Orlando International Airport. We are beginning a new South Terminal expansion.

cpinetree

What if the pedestals were considered separate structures?
Could you put in a GES and tie it to the single circuits ground conductor?

Please don't crucify me for asking this, just curious.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
What if the pedestals were considered separate structures?
Could you put in a GES and tie it to the single circuits ground conductor?

Please don't crucify me for asking this, just curious.

A feeder to a separate structure requires an intersystem bonding doohickey. You would have to have a GES at the structure along with an EGC coming in with the feeder. The EGC, GES and the intersystem bonding doohickey would all be connected together at the disconnecting means for the structure.

If the single circuit is a branch circuit there is no requirement for a GES at the structure and I think (but am not 100% sure) no requirement for an intersystem bonding doohickey. Nothing prevents you from adding either or both though. You still have to bring in an EGC with the branch circuit.

cpinetree

A feeder to a separate structure requires an intersystem bonding doohickey. You would have to have a GES at the structure along with an EGC coming in with the feeder. The EGC, GES and the intersystem bonding doohickey would all be connected together at the disconnecting means for the structure.

If the single circuit is a branch circuit there is no requirement for a GES at the structure and I think (but am not 100% sure) no requirement for an intersystem bonding doohickey. Nothing prevents you from adding either or both though. You still have to bring in an EGC with the branch circuit.

So a grounded conductor and 2 grounding conductors (1 sized for the circuit and 1 a #6 for the GES?) fed from the main building?
Looks like when we do sheds they have been missing a grounding conductor for the GES. :ashamed1:

We have always tied the GES and intersystem bonding doohickey to the ground bar on the sub panel that is fed from the house with 2-#10 hot, 1-#10 neutral (Grounded conductor), and 1-#10 green (Grounding conductor)
Often the inspectors want to know why we installed the doohickey :lol: - because code says we need to:thumbsdown:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Welcome to the forum.

Not really...those rods or other auxiliary grounding electrodes are required to be connected to the circuit EGC.
250.54 Auxiliary Grounding Electrodes
One or more grounding electrodes shall be permitted to be connected to the equipment grounding conductors specified in 250.118 and shall not be required to comply with the electrode bonding requirements of 250.50 or 250.53(C) or the resistance requirements of 250.53(A)(2) Exception, but the earth shall not be used as an effective ground-fault current path as specified in 250.4(A)(5) and 250.4(B)(4).

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Thanks Dave, I would be interested to review the exception. I agree that it wouldn't be a good idea, I would just like to review for future reference. The project is at the Orlando International Airport. We are beginning a new South Terminal expansion.

Wow. You are in for some fun. :roll:

Here is the exception.
250.54 Auxiliary Grounding Electrodes

One or more grounding electrodes shall be permitted to be
connected to the equipment grounding conductors specified
in 250.118 and shall not be required to comply with the elec-
trode bonding requirements of 250.50 or 250.53(C) or the
resistance requirements of 250.53(A)(2) Exception, but the
earth shall not be used as an effective ground-fault current
path as specified in 250.4(A)(5) and 250.4(B)(4).

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
So a grounded conductor and 2 grounding conductors (1 sized for the circuit and 1 a #6 for the GES?) fed from the main building?
Looks like when we do sheds they have been missing a grounding conductor for the GES. :ashamed1:

We have always tied the GES and intersystem bonding doohickey to the ground bar on the sub panel that is fed from the house with 2-#10 hot, 1-#10 neutral (Grounded conductor), and 1-#10 green (Grounding conductor)
Often the inspectors want to know why we installed the doohickey :lol: - because code says we need to:thumbsdown:

The GES is at the remote structure. If it is not required there is no GEC at the remote structure. the GES is always at the structure served.

Status
Not open for further replies.