Electrolysis on Water Piping Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

danno44

Does anyone have any info on the possible connection with electrolysis and lead solder joints in water pipe systems? I have heard that improper bonding of waterlines can contribute to the release of lead in waterlines by electrolysis.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Does anyone have any info on the possible connection with electrolysis and lead solder joints in water pipe systems? I have heard that improper bonding of waterlines can contribute to the release of lead in waterlines by electrolysis.

Keep searching. Unfortunately poor soldering practices is a bigger problem. Tell that to the plumber!:D

Most complain about the pipe itself deteriorating.

We've had several threads on here about this, maybe one of the mods will fix you up with a link.

JFletcher

Electrolysis of copper water pipe is far more likely to occur via galvanic corrosion than by AC electricity, which should only flow on water pipes under abnormal or fault conditions.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
It's very common to see water pipes used as grounding-electrode conductors. When the neutral is also grounded at the transformer and/or neighboring house(s), "half" the neutral current will flow through the water pipe all the time, not just during abnormal or fault conditions.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
It's very common to see water pipes used as grounding-electrode conductors. When the neutral is also grounded at the transformer and/or neighboring house(s), "half" the neutral current will flow through the water pipe all the time, not just during abnormal or fault conditions.

...in the entire US. I think if we had a problem, Code would have changed a long time ago.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

But that does not cause corrosion, corrosion is due to DC current. I have a comprehensive report by the American water works association on this.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Corrosion can be due to low pH and water quality issues. here is a link to the EPA water consumer confidence report.
https://ofmpub.epa.gov/apex/safewater/f?p=136:102::::::
Look to see how they address the lead and copper rule, required since 1999. Water with low PH can cause lead to leach out of solder. Our water system raises the pH from 7.5 to 8.5.
I often see grounding blamed for corrosion and that is an electrical myth.

Status
Not open for further replies.