Code to be in RGS??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

It's obviously not code for grounding system conductors to be in RGS is it? I'm aware if spec calling for mechanical rooms etc. must be in RGS. Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 1

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
It's obviously not code for grounding system conductors to be in RGS is it? I'm aware if spec calling for mechanical rooms etc. must be in RGS. Thanks.

From an engineering perspective, the specs AND the drawings together delineate the expected installation. Unless you think the ground in conduit is a violation in and of itself, you're expected to follow the drawings. You can always send in an RFI if you want, especially if the specs don't call for the ground in conduit. The drawing detail could be left over from another project.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Just watch 250.64(E)
(E) Enclosures for Grounding Electrode Conductors. Ferrous metal enclosures for grounding electrode conductors shall be electrically continuous from the point of attachment to cabinets or equipment to the grounding electrode and shall be securely fastened to the ground clamp or fitting. Nonferrous metal enclosures shall not be required to be electrically continuous. Ferrous metal enclosures that are not physically continuous from cabinets or equipment to the grounding electrode shall be made electrically continuous by bonding each end of the raceway or enclosure to the grounding electrode conductor. Bonding shall apply at each end and to all intervening ferrous raceways, boxes, and enclosures between the cabinets or equipment and the grounding electrode. The bonding jumper for a grounding electrode conductor raceway or cable armor shall be the same size as, or larger than, the enclosed grounding electrode conductor. Where a raceway is used as protection for a grounding electrode conductor, the installation shall comply with the requirements of the appropriate raceway article.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've seen several job specs that called for all GEC's to be in rigid conduit. IMO a complete waste of someone's money. :roll:

oKcWzqre_zJMKqdMRfHF2aUnff6KDy0meyVapb2OfPO3ExkBQIRUEhd7f6By1rHrn5c9N4jNi91FZ1j5Lxvu_9jng-8wAwMAkI9M74__WqXQ7pn7_NT4j4mUpjya99eabr5g2fMqxKWlKMfQekTXdIVZjTaJyHbb1r30ze4uvoBiwA1yVPdyryVFJY5JHvL2nj8S1nd1YORR3AHTXGY4hdtLI7I7ZubMFMKLhKgHhD9F1M5REHcV9cqgBlshM-dMjxgJOLzDmqppxDYavq81MMx8GrjNWq4brPMp3R3udYAW7BLqL8G9hS2zKw__1p6tbBPO4ChQLUZ1fY_GqINUICbilmSdqeHr5Jg5lnXns37A1Dq5xvjMWFMA1pv4J8yUAmn2i-51hlrR73iV7EadEGyGbOFyJdtjhsaevfipj6psZIvPREy0ftqw_7tE98FCbBJ52g08WPs2Yzd3xOjOw-JRN_d8uxmkH2tHGmICKDahKhjMWRLICQPRYVHdDzMnKtDbFEj3Ibe4XH_n2dSmZTUpY1tNFuwYCJTaTMm6HopCBipM1V55sXO1ae-UxEIKPQuQiVlwdGzGeTRgTVBcUR83Wl34rrU-_6cgd3GTfBwg2kyobQ=w689-h917-no

Status
Not open for further replies.