Bonding CSST in Amish House

Status
Not open for further replies.

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
Have never had to review this before. Amish home with solar set-up and storage batteries. GAs line run with CSST which requires bonding. Would the CSST be connected to a grounding rod system or connect back through the battery storage system. I do not believe they even have any kind of service panel, but have not made a site visit yet. Any suggestion on what I should be looking for would be appreciated.

MNSparky

Occupation
Electrical Contractor - 2023 NEC
I think the manufactures of CSST want a connection to the earth. If a connection to the electrical system were all they cared about the existing equipment ground of any gas appliance would be good enough.

I agree with ActionDave. I'm guessing the solar set up has a grounding system so that would be where I would look to bond it to. If there is no grounding system at all, I'd drive a couple rods and bond it to them. But that's just me.

This might help:

http://www.csstsafety.com/Images/CSST-Direct-Bonding-Tech-Bulletin.pdf

mtfallsmikey

I think the manufactures of CSST want a connection to the earth. If a connection to the electrical system were all they cared about the existing equipment ground of any gas appliance would be good enough.

Yes, and NFGC wants no smaller than #6 to ground

kwired

Electron manager
Amish that are around here will not have utility supplied power, unless they are renting the place but that is usually rare and sort of temporary, but if they own it they will have utility power disconnected.

They will install solar, wind, etc or even use generators to supply electric to the house though. Here if not tied to the utility they get by without electrical permits, there is no other building codes being enforced either, but if strictly following NEC most any premises wiring system will still need a grounding electrode system. I see nothing in 250 part III that exempts any building or structure from having a GES.

Status
Not open for further replies.