Sizing building steel bond

Status
Not open for further replies.

slc410

Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Im trying to size my bond to building steel for a 400 amp sevice. From the meter the service conductors enter the building in parallel sets of 3 phase 3/0. Each set going to their own main breaker 200 amp panel. My thinking is that the wire should be a 1/0 to building steel since it is a parallel set, three 3/0 ungrounded conductors is equivalent to a 600 kcmil. 250.66 then tells me 1/0 to both panels (not allowed to bond in meter)

jumper

You could do that or tap from each panel with #4 to a common 1/0.

Like this shows

GECtaps.JPG

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Im trying to size my bond to building steel for a 400 amp service. From the meter the service conductors enter the building in parallel sets of 3 phase 3/0. Each set going to their own main breaker 200 amp panel. My thinking is that the wire should be a 1/0 to building steel since it is a parallel set, three 3/0 ungrounded conductors is equivalent to a 600 kcmil. 250.66 then tells me 1/0 to both panels (not allowed to bond in meter)

I'm confused, you said that you have parallel sets but them you stated that "each set going to their own main breaker 200 amp panel." How many sets are you running and are they connected together on both ends?

Status
Not open for further replies.