EMT Ground Hub??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike01

So I have never seen this and no luck finding it…when using EMT as a raceway for mechanical protection of a supplemental bonding conductor for ex. ½”C with a #6AWG ground I was looking to see if I could find a ground hub / choke to be used at each end of the conduit however everything I have found [oz/gedney, etc.] the hubs are threaded. Is it possible, common acceptable [UL?] to thread EMT, I could not find a similar product with set screw type connection? Any assistance is appreciated…

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Just use EMT connectors and then the hubs.

cityhubs.JPG

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So I have never seen this and no luck finding it…when using EMT as a raceway for mechanical protection of a supplemental bonding conductor for ex. ½”C with a #6AWG ground I was looking to see if I could find a ground hub / choke to be used at each end of the conduit however everything I have found [oz/gedney, etc.] the hubs are threaded. Is it possible, common acceptable [UL?] to thread EMT, I could not find a similar product with set screw type connection? Any assistance is appreciated…

You cannot thread EMT. You can do what Roger suggested but threading the connector into the hub is a technical violation. Like Roger for me it isn't a problem.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

I'm curious, is there a reason for you to not use a half inch bonding bushing on the threads of a set screw EMT connector?

455.jpg

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I'm curious, is there a reason for you to not use a half inch bonding bushing on the threads of a set screw EMT connector?

455.jpg

The reason it was done in the photo was due the design engineer wanting more expensive components.

Roger

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Strap a short length of strut to the ends of the conduits and bolt a lug to the strut for a single conductor to bond them.

May not be approved usage, but would certainly be effective.

Carultch

Bridgeport makes threadless bonding bushings for use with EMT.

Status
Not open for further replies.