Grounding electrode conductor and Equipment grounding conductor sharing the same Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a service the other day 200 amp on a pole detach from a building single-family dwelling and the inspector told me that the equipment grounding conductor and the grounding electrode conductor can't share the same pipe he told me it was in the code but refused to State the code which is illegal down here in Florida but for the fact I just wanted it passed, I ran a separate conduit into the meter breaker combination.
The wires were ran in the feeder pipe on the load side of the equipment can somebody help me figure out if he was right where it is in the code cuz I'm tearing my hair out in 250 trying to figure it out
We're currently adapted the 2014 National electrical code I know in 2011 they stated a rule saying the equipment grounding conductor can't be used as a grounding electrode conductor or vice a versa they have to be separate conductors???

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
Welcome to the forum.

I don't understand why there is a Grounding Electrode Conductor in the conduit with feeder conductors. The GEC just needs to leave the panel and go to the ground rod or some other approved electrode.

What if there is a metallic water pipe or concrete encased electrode in the pole shed?

To the OP: Its not a code violation to install a EGC and a GEC in the same conduit.
They can even be the same conductor if sized properly. See 250.121 Exception

On the pole I had to set an 8 X 8 X4 Junction box because the old service went underground and I had to raise the service to meet flood requirements because I live in the Florida Keys. The ground rod was closest to that Junction box and we have to protect all grounding electrode conductors even though code States number 4 or larger needs to be protected from physical damage even number 6AWG thE Authority having jurisdiction requires that to be in PVC and I thought it was easiest hit the bottom of the junction box and run it up into the panel as well as the grounding electro conductor coming from the panel into the Polaris tap and back into the house?

Welcome to the forum.

I don't understand why there is a Grounding Electrode Conductor in the conduit with feeder conductors. The GEC just needs to leave the panel and go to the ground rod or some other approved electrode.

Last edited:

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
On the pole I had to set an 8 X 8 X4 Junction box because the old service went underground and I had to raise the service to meet flood requirements because I live in the Florida Keys. The ground rod was closest to that Junction box and we have to protect all grounding electrode conductors even though code States number 4 or larger needs to be protected from physical damage even number 6AWG thE Authority having jurisdiction requires that to be in PVC and I thought it was easiest hit the bottom of the junction box and run it up into the panel
So you have one conduit between the box and the panel and it has all the circuit conductors and GEC in it? That sounds acceptable by code.

as well as the grounding electro conductor coming from the panel into the Polaris tap and back into the house?
You lost me here. What Polaris tap? When did he arrive.

I had to use Polaris TAPS in order to splice the feeder wires it's an insulated lug Style splice I believe they're rated in the 90-degree column
So you have one conduit between the box and the panel and it has all the circuit conductors and GEC in it? That sounds acceptable by code.

You lost me here. What Polaris tap? When did he arrive.

nickelec

Welcome to the forum.

+1

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.