250.24(A)(1) Bonding the grounded conductor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We're also in a state where the POCO tags/locks their meters, and thus we're not allowed to land GECs there. That's a shame, because it's almost always the best place by far to land at least the driven-electrode conductor(s). Water and any other internal GECs are probably as well inside, as it usually provides a shorter path.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
In Washington our rules state the GEC can not connect in the meter socket as its not accessible, but if the POCO requires a GEC then its allowed (IE at a remote meter)
I would suggest the best location for the GEC connection is at the meter socket as it offers the shortest path to ground for lightning, instead of from an inside electrical panel.
Or better yet, make the GEC connection at the weather head. Out here the AHJ would have to look twice at that.

And (again, out here) I have never seen a meter socket with a location to land a GEC...

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Or better yet, make the GEC connection at the weather head. Out here the AHJ would have to look twice at that.
I've seen that done quite a bit on older houses in rural areas.

And (again, out here) I have never seen a meter socket with a location to land a GEC...
Our POCO provides meter bases free, and always Milbank if I remember correctly. Look between the neutral lugs and the right insulation block:

siemens-meter-sockets-suat111-0pgp-64_1000.jpg

In Washington our rules state the GEC can not connect in the meter socket as its not accessible, but if the POCO requires a GEC then its allowed (IE at a remote meter)
I would suggest the best location for the GEC connection is at the meter socket as it offers the shortest path to ground for lightning, instead of from an inside electrical panel.

Can you provide a code section for that? I do not see it in the WAC.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
It may be in the Electrical Currents. I just remember that being discussed. 250 068 says the termination point must be accessible, L&I does not consider it accessible in the meter socket - I would justify that based on it does not meet the requirement of accessible in the NEC

Side bar to electrofelon....
I don't like the requirements for electrical installations to be in the Currents (note to non Washington electricians). The Electrical Currents is our state chief electrical inspectors newsletter. A requirement (policy) in it can be enforced as a rule (state law allows the chief to do this)
I have had some electrical currents requirements moved into the electrical rules. Its hard to find those currents articles...

Did you see the article I wrote for the 100th anniversary of electrical licensing (March)

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I deal with five different POCOs in my area. Two of them require the GEC to connect at the weatherhead, unless it's an underground. One of the two will allow the GEC to connect in the meterbase if underground and the other requires it to run to the panel or 1st means of disconnect w/OCPD.
The other three all require the connection in the meterbase.

Now try and remember which one you're dealing with during install!:huh:

It may be in the Electrical Currents. I just remember that being discussed. 250 068 says the termination point must be accessible, L&I does not consider it accessible in the meter socket - I would justify that based on it does not meet the requirement of accessible in the NEC

Side bar to electrofelon....
I don't like the requirements for electrical installations to be in the Currents (note to non Washington electricians). The Electrical Currents is our state chief electrical inspectors newsletter. A requirement (policy) in it can be enforced as a rule (state law allows the chief to do this)
I have had some electrical currents requirements moved into the electrical rules. Its hard to find those currents articles...

Did you see the article I wrote for the 100th anniversary of electrical licensing (March)

Ok it's probably just a common interpretation with L&I and not specifically codified. I don't believe 250.068 applies as that is talking about the connection of a GEC tap to the GEC

P S. Where is the article?

Status
Not open for further replies.