CSST bonding to sub panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

kec

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Can someone tell where it states that the #6 bonding wire has to be connected to the main panel and not a sub panel ground bar?

scook56

CSST

CSST

Not connected to feeder_MP. Listed clamp to gas line, not CSST.
Bonding to H/C, interior city water line GEC from MP.
GEC_EGC bonded at MP, 2014 NEC 250.68(C)
Tbl 250.66 for AWG size, 200A SE_4 AWG CU, 100A 6 AWG CU

Can someone tell where it states that the #6 bonding wire has to be connected to the main panel and not a sub panel ground bar?

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Not in the NEC. NEC has no rules concerning CSST other then that it is metallic gas piping and must at least be bonded by the EGC of the branch circuit likely to energize it.

Gas codes or specific product instructions are where you need to look.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Yeah i pretty much came to the same conclusion Kwired

all i found was>>>

250.104 (B) Other Metal Piping

choices 1 thru 5 , with ref to Table 250.122

I just can't see a piece of #12 being used, pretty sure most any 'bond cu' , or that which would fly around solo would be #8 ,fairly prevalent thru the code

~RJ~

kwired

Electron manager
Yeah i pretty much came to the same conclusion Kwired

all i found was>>>

250.104 (B) Other Metal Piping

choices 1 thru 5 , with ref to Table 250.122

I just can't see a piece of #12 being used, pretty sure most any 'bond cu' , or that which would fly around solo would be #8 ,fairly prevalent thru the code

~RJ~
As I said - not in NEC. NEC is fine with bonding it with 12 AWG if only circuit that is likely to energize it is a 20 amp circuit, and doesn't even require it to be "bond wire" but rather just be the EGC of the circuit that may energize it. Gas valve in a furnace is likely bonded to the EGC of the furnace branch circuit and also bonded to the gas supply piping - In that case NEC requirements are met. Gas code or product instructions for CSST being used may require more then that though.

250.104 (B) (3) in the 2014 NEC states that you can bond the gas piping system to the grounded conductor at the service (which is the neutral).

kwired

Electron manager
250.104 (B) (3) in the 2014 NEC states that you can bond the gas piping system to the grounded conductor at the service (which is the neutral).

At the service equipment grounding conductor and grounded conductor are the same point, but once you leave with branch circuits/feeders they must be separated.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We have talked about this csst going to the intersystem bonding but at the big meetings it was stated that the intersystem bonding unit was not listed for bonding of csst. Local inspectors still allow it at times however most units have only 3 ports for other utilities so if you use one for the intersystem then you only have 2 left. Can one argue that the csst is another system???

Consist of a set of terminals with the capacity for connection
of not less than three intersystem bonding conductors

Jamesco

Occupation
Master Electrician

Here.
https://cdn-web.iccsafe.org/wp-content/uploads/PMG_CodeNotes_CSST.pdf

"The permanent bonding of corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST) piping system directly to the grounding electrode system of the structure in which the CSST is installed will lower the voltage build-up on the CSST caused by unintentional energizing from outside sources such as power surges and lightning strikes"

Must connect to the GEC not to the EGC. Minimum wire size #6 cu.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Is there anywhere in the gas code that states the connection must be continuous? I don't think so so if the equipment grounding conductor to the sub panel is a #6 then the csst bonding should be allowed to connect to that panel.

Jamesco

Occupation
Master Electrician
Is there anywhere in the gas code that states the connection must be continuous? I don't think so so if the equipment grounding conductor to the sub panel is a #6 then the csst bonding should be allowed to connect to that panel.

It says connect to the grounding electrode system.

Status
Not open for further replies.