Generator Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMG_1

I have a question regarding generator grounding. Many times I have seen a ground ring with ground rods put around a generator. If the generator is NOT a separately derived system, does the ground ring and ground rods simply get connected to the equipment grounding conductor? This leads to another question, in this example, is the ground ring required.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
With a non-SDS the neutral is isolated and there is generally no requirement for a connection to a GES. However, the manufacturer or designer may require some type of grounding electrode that is connected to the generator frame which is ultimately connected to the EGC with the feeder.

Dale001289

I have a question regarding generator grounding. Many times I have seen a ground ring with ground rods put around a generator. If the generator is NOT a separately derived system, does the ground ring and ground rods simply get connected to the equipment grounding conductor? This leads to another question, in this example, is the ground ring required.

Installation of a ground ring is more of a common practice than a requirement - even for non-SDS generators. You’d still want to bond to the generator frame - as a minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

david

With a non-SDS the neutral is isolated and there is generally no requirement for a connection to a GES. However, the manufacturer or designer may require some type of grounding electrode that is connected to the generator frame which is ultimately connected to the EGC with the feeder.

250.30 (C ) 2011, 2014

im under 2008 but i think either 2011 or 2014 changed the requirement for outside transformers to all outside SDS, though in this case it is not an SDS

publicgood

Agree

Status
Not open for further replies.