Mulitple Service Disconnects-GEC Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have a 4000 amp service feeding a large switchboard with 5 service disconnects. Ahead of the service disconnects I have a buss section to "tap" off to feed the fire pumps and fire alarm service disconnect switches. The lone #3/0 GEC for the switchboard will land in the CT cabinet or tap section ahead of all of the service disconnects. There is a disagreement as to whether or not additional GEC's are required for the fire pump and fire alarm service disconnects. I say no but others disagree. Here's what it looks like on paper:

20180306_095145.jpg

shortcircuit2

I agree with you that no additional GEC connection is needed...

Is the GEC connection in the tap section considered accessible to your AHJ?

Still need a main bonding jumper in each disconnect.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with you that no additional GEC connection is needed...

Is the GEC connection in the tap section considered accessible to your AHJ?

Still need a main bonding jumper in each disconnect.

Yes, the tap section is after the meter section which is locked by the POCO so the connection point would be accessible.

I agree, no other gec landing points required. What is their reasoning for saying there are? Seems like a basic use of the "common location" method.

Wow. So that is what electrical plans look like.

Yeah seems like I see those once every few years (and never that big) . Usually it's like: " we need a new service. We have no load information for you. We don't know if we want single or three phase. Just wire it" :slaphead:

Adamjamma

I am being required to submit an electrical drawing for my home in Jamaica because my panel is greater than 60 amps. The original electrician died of cancer and his wife cannot find his drawings or notes... and he died just after first fix which in Jamaica means I have concrete decking and walls and no notes to see where the conduit is in some cases.luckily, I have been able to track down and draw in all but two of the conduits... but those two are very important runs so am trying to figure out how to run them with new conduits without weakening the structure..lol...
really wish I had done it all myself from the get go... paid a lot of money to get it to here, using local.. and the stuff may be useless...
one of my biggest headaches are the conduits I told him I wantedin 3/4 or 1 inch that he ran everything in 1/2 inch... it is not like one can go back and add extra conduits 8n the concrete walls...lol...

but when hen I grow up I wanna be able to draw neat wiring diagrams like that myself.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Assuming all is within one structure, I think I would agree that no additional GES/GEC would be required. I think if the fire pump was in a separate building of its own but supplied with service conductors from the main building the a GES would be required. Or maybe I'm stating the obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.