Transformer bonding question

Status
Not open for further replies.

73hemicuda

I'm installing a new 240D/120CT to 480D 3 phase transformer. I have the ground from the primary side feed, the load side and the one to building steel on the lug bolted to the transformer enclosure. If I install the bonding wire from x6 to the enclosure lug, wouldn't this technically be bonded in two different locations since the ground from the primary side is already bonded at the main service entrance where it enters the building? Or is this correct?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I'm installing a new 240D/120CT to 480D 3 phase transformer. I have the ground from the primary side feed, the load side and the one to building steel on the lug bolted to the transformer enclosure. If I install the bonding wire from x6 to the enclosure lug, wouldn't this technically be bonded in two different locations since the ground from the primary side is already bonded at the main service entrance where it enters the building? Or is this correct?

Welcome to the forum.

I am having a hard time understanding your post. Are you wiring a step up or a step down transformer?

MAC702

I'm guessing the 240D/120CT part means 240 Delta / 120 Center Tap, so this would have to be the secondary on a step-down xformer, right? But it doesn't seem to match the order presented.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The way the OP is written (240D/120CT to 480D) I assumed step up. :)

As Dave stated we need more information.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's important that there be NO neutral connection to the primary of the transformer. It should be connected as a purely Delta load.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
You are using this transformer as a step up transformer, to go from 240V delta to 480V delta.

However the transformer _may_ have been designed as a step down transformer.

Typically the coil center tap will be on the secondary so that you can ground the newly derived source. If you are using the transformer 'in reverse' then this tap will be on the primary side.

As you correctly surmise, you do _not_ want to ground the neutral or center tap on the _primary_ side of your transformer, because this will cause problems.

You _do_ want to ground the center tap on the _secondary_ side of your transformer, unless you are intentionally corner grounding or leaving the system ungrounded.

So: is X6 on the primary or secondary coils as you are actually using this transformer?

-Jon

It's important that there be NO neutral connection to the primary of the transformer. It should be connected as a purely Delta load.

You _do_ want to ground the center tap on the _secondary_ side of your transformer, unless you are intentionally corner grounding or leaving the system ungrounded.

So: is X6 on the primary or secondary coils as you are actually using this transformer?

-Jon

I certainly agree it is not needed, but as an academic question hat happens if one were to connect the center tap to the supply neutral? I am well familiar with the case of the Delta-Wye transformer being reverse fed and supplied with a neutral, but this is different.

73hemicuda

You are using this transformer as a step up transformer, to go from 240V delta to 480V delta.

However the transformer _may_ have been designed as a step down transformer.

Typically the coil center tap will be on the secondary so that you can ground the newly derived source. If you are using the transformer 'in reverse' then this tap will be on the primary side.

As you correctly surmise, you do _not_ want to ground the neutral or center tap on the _primary_ side of your transformer, because this will cause problems.

-Jon
X6 is on the primary side

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I certainly agree it is not needed, but as an academic question hat happens if one were to connect the center tap to the supply neutral? I am well familiar with the case of the Delta-Wye transformer being reverse fed and supplied with a neutral, but this is different.
Well, to start with, to do it at all, you would have to make certain that the source neutral is derived from the center tap of that transformer, and not from a wye, and then that you connect the source high leg to the new transformer's high leg.

Even given that has been done, I would look at it this way: forget the high leg, and suppose you're feeding a 240v center-tapped (or a 120/240 wired as 240v) transformer from a 240v center-tapped transformer. Would you interconnect the taps?

I wouldn't. I'd be concerned about less-than-perfectly-matching impedances and load currents creating currents within the transformers. In the same way that I wouldn't suggest using multiple transformers in parallel to supply a large load.

MTW

It is a step up. Sorry I forgot to include that

Actually it's a step down, wired in reverse. According to the catalog number

X6 need not be grounded The high side output coil should be bonded though. or left ungrounded, needs ground fault monitoring.

Not shown in the catalog data is, if it's approved for reverse connection.

E85H75S would have been the better model for step up use with its 480/277 Wye output.
Would have allowed for center point bonding of the output coil.

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
When you connect a center tapped transformer primary to a center tapped source secondary, you are in effect connecting a 1:1 autotransformer between L1-N and N-L2.
If for any reason (mismatched taps, load related voltage drop....) the two source voltages do not match, you will cause a high current in your primary.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.