Grounding & Bonding Perimeter for Ham Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronny Bolsega

Hi. I’ve been recently studying about Grounding and Bonding Perimeters around radio transmitter towers and being a ham radio operator, it got m curious about a small residential set up on my house. I’ve been reading the Soares NEC 2017 on Grounding and Bonding and also the the ARRL Grounding and Bonding for the Radio Amateur by H. Ward Silver. Before I do the construction of the rods and bonding them, I would like some input on this subject.

I’ve been told not to bond the chain to the A/C unit and Service Panel because this will create a path after lightning strike to enter your interior wiring system through out the house and all electronics. Also not to bond to A/C because when the A/C starts up to run, there will be 3 motors adding noise to the grounding system beside other motors in use.

The illustration 1 & 2 are diagrams I’ve been following . Illustration 3 is the plan I’ve sketched on my house. The sketch shows bonding to the A/C and Service Entrance. Please advise me on keeping that bond to the A/C and Panel Box or not.
application.pdf
application.pdf
application.pdf

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I suggest going to a ham radio forum.

I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.