Pavers Around Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthwestPV

We have a pool that is surrounded by 2" stone pavers. There will be a 6" rat slab underneath with 1" mortar under the pavers. The contractor just informed me that there will not be rebar in the concrete. If I run a #8 bare inside the grout does this fulfill the epuipotential bonding?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
The contractor just informed me that there will not be rebar in the concrete.

Well, see it doesn't work that way. YOU tell HIM that there needs to be unless he wants break it all up and do it over when it doesn't pass inspection.

-Hal

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
Need to run the bond wire before the pavers. Inspectors can be picky about depth requirement below the surface. Also the distance from the pool water.
From a concrete construction standpoint, the 6" slab should at least be reinforced with wire mesh, which must be bonded.

Is this a vinyl pool or concrete? New construction or reno?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
We have a pool that is surrounded by 2" stone pavers. There will be a 6" rat slab underneath with 1" mortar under the pavers. The contractor just informed me that there will not be rebar in the concrete. If I run a #8 bare inside the grout does this fulfill the epuipotential bonding?

I don't think there is any requirement for rebar in the concrete. It will likely require some kind of reinforcement in the concrete to keep it from cracking but it does not have to be rebar.

It seems to me that a #8 bare copper wire meets the requirements if installed IAW the code requirements for such things.

I am not real sure the pool bonding requirements actually serve as much of a useful purpose as one might hope, but they are what is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.