Swimming Pool Fence Bonding - Aluminium Fence Insulated from ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I work as a fencing installer for swimming pools in Australia. I have general knowledge of the requirements for metallic components of a fence that are within 1.2m of the waters edge to be bonded and grounded, however recently came across a job which raised some questions with me and was hoping someone would be able to help clarify.

This job being - aluminium fencing panels which were supported by plastic fence posts, and hence the metallic components of the fence were completely insulated from the ground. In this case, would bonding and earthing still be required if the fence was within the specified distance from the water?

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The code does not give exception but IMO, the bonding seems unnecessary. The only reason I can see to bond it is that someday someone may install a wood post. That can be conductive.

Adamjamma

I think it would fall under the same exception in the 18th edition of the BS7671 that the bonding of water and gas pipes now have.. since only plastic contacts the ground a bond not necessarily needed.. however, I would still bond the fence panels to ground anyway, just in case some idiot drags an electric cord through it, and that electric cord faults...
You cannot fix stupid but sometimes you can take the five minutes to try to out think stupid...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Gutters and aluminum windows are supposed to be bonded so it makes sense the fence should be also. I think what Adam said is correct. It is very possible someone would hand so xmas lights on the fence so there would be a possibility of energizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.