PANEL GROUNDING

Status
Not open for further replies.

bure961

I need some help with something I should already know but I am not certain of the answer. We purchased a home out of state and a short time later decided I needed a receptical in the garage. After removing the cover to the 200 amp panel I notice the bonding screw was installed in the panel [will be removed]. There is a sub panel outside for the pool equipment[inground] which is feed with a 4 wire cable no main breaker in sub, 2 phase conductors 1 neutral 1 equipment ground bonded in sub panel.

All the ground wires and neutral wires are on same neutral bar in main panel.

My question is should all the bonds and neutrals be seperate in main panel and the egc and neutral be seperate in main panel ?

Thank you

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I can say this. The neutral to earth bond is to be made at one point, generally at the place where the service connection is made. It should not be duplicated downstream of that point.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I need some help with something I should already know but I am not certain of the answer. We purchased a home out of state and a short time later decided I needed a receptical in the garage. After removing the cover to the 200 amp panel I notice the bonding screw was installed in the panel [will be removed].
Is this the service equipment?

All the ground wires and neutral wires are on same neutral bar in main panel.
Normal.

My question is should all the bonds and neutrals be seperate in main panel and the egc and neutral be seperate in main panel ?
Not if the panel is the service equipment.

Roger

bure961

ok . I always though when there is a sub panel you remove the bonding screw in the main panel. I was wrong . thanks for the help here. I feel much better now knowing its done right.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
ok . I always though when there is a sub panel you remove the bonding screw in the main panel. I was wrong . thanks for the help here. I feel much better now knowing its done right.

the bonding screw is used when the panel is the place where the bond is made between the neutral and ground. usually the service point.

david

The green screw is a main bonding jumper (of the screw type) its primary purpose is to bond between the neutral and the equipment grounding bus when an equipment grounding bus kit is added to a panel. By default it also makes the (required) bond to the metal can that houses the electrical panel to the system neutral

Thus the reason for the screw being green in color

another location commonly used to bond the neutral to ground (earth) is in the meter enclosure when the neutral lug has a lug provided for that purpose (some utilities disallow the meter location)

When the main bonding jumper is the screw type the green screw is not intended to establish a bond between the neutral and the grounding electrode conductor (bond to earth)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.