Pull box grounding fed from non metallic conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

slice

Hello all, here's the scenario. Metal pull box with no splices in it being fed from a power panel via circuit conductors in nonmetallic conduit (circuit contains wire type ecg). From the pull box the conductors leave in rigid metal conduit. The equipment ground is connected to an additional metal junction/splice box at the load end of the conductor run as there are splices made in this box. The contractor is claiming that the first pull box doesn't require the equipment ground to be connected to it as the pull box is grounded via the conduit system.

I disagree with their interpretation and think you want to bond the first box to the wire equipment ground as well so the effective ground fault current path is as low impedance as possible. I am having difficulty backing up my position so I was wondering what your thoughts were? Am I incorrect that the first pull box should be connected to the equipment ground wire directly as well or is the indirect connection to the wire type ecg via conduit acceptable? Is there a code section that would clear this up? 250.134 references connection to an ecg but doesn't clearly specify which one? Or does it?

Thanks for your help.
Slice

nickelec

I believe unless there is a splice in that box then bonding the box is not required

Take a look at 250.148

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Hello all, here's the scenario. Metal pull box with no splices in it being fed from a power panel via circuit conductors in nonmetallic conduit (circuit contains wire type ecg). From the pull box the conductors leave in rigid metal conduit. The equipment ground is connected to an additional metal junction/splice box at the load end of the conductor run as there are splices made in this box. The contractor is claiming that the first pull box doesn't require the equipment ground to be connected to it as the pull box is grounded via the conduit system.

The contractor is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.