Bonding of Instrument stands to ground grid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Does the NEC require instrument stands with transducers, transmitters, etc @ 24VDC and under 1A, to be bonded to the ground grid in a Class I Division 2 area?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
What is it that you are calling an instrument stand?

By bonded to the ground grid do you mean that an equipment grounding conductor should be run out to the stand with the circuit conductors and somehow bonded to that stand or are you suggesting some kind of conductor that should be connected to Earth?

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
250.112(I) states the circuit doesnt need to be grounded if its Class 2 wiring under 50VDC - however, our inspectors want to see the stand - galvanized C6-channel - bonded with #2AWG down to the equipotential ground grid which is a buried #4/0 bare copper and runs throughout the entire Plant - mostly Class I Division 2, C & D.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
... - however, our inspectors want to see the stand - galvanized C6-channel - bonded with #2AWG down to the equipotential ground grid which is a buried #4/0 bare copper and runs throughout the entire Plant - mostly Class I Division 2, C & D.
Fairly common heavy industry/ petrochem project specification. There is no code requirement for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.