Grounding practice for a chain of steel containers

Status
Not open for further replies.

FDK

This is the question from my customer who is creating a 12-mile recreation trail that includes several train trestles that have to be improved for use.:

"Maybe you can help with a question that came up related to using steel containers on our high trestle, 193 feet long & 40 feet above the ground. We are considering using 4 or 5 containers, with windows cut out, to span that trestle. As a lay person, it seems there would be risk for lightning strikes".

Could you share a thought or two related to that and how we might manage that potential risk?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
There is always a risk of lightning strike and very little you can do to prevent one. If the guy thinks it is a risk, he should hire a competent professional to evaluate the risk, and determine if mitigation is required and if so, how to go about mitigating the risk.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
As a lay person, he is apparently quite misinformed. Using metal in construction does not increase the likelihood of a lightning strike.

jaggedben

Occupation
If it's elevated, pointy and grounded metal, it might. But we just don't have enough details about the project to offer an intelligent & applicable suggestion.

I believe only the elevated and pointy parts are meaningfully relevant to the likelihood of lightning strikes. The question is whether the OP's customer understands that, or whether they erroneously think the materials are equally important. If it's elevated and pointy then perhaps there should be some grounded metal at the top, but see post 3.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Hmmm. Now you have me thinking too. Maybe the OP has some explaining to do. I just love it when someone asks a question, we get all kinds of ideas and the OP never bothers to come back with more information or clarification when we have questions.

Or even a thank you.

-Hal

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I was picturing large shipping containers from the get-go. :?

I have no idea what this is. Someone says "trestle" and I immediately think "railroad", but in this case I don't have a clue. And I really can't even begin to think what these "containers" are going to be used for. Shelter? Storage? Structural support?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It wasn't clear, to be sure. I was picturing a flat bridge being turned into a covered bridge with them.

that was what I envisioned.

I am often amazed that people think they can get competent (and free) advice from more or less random and anonymous people on the Internet than by paying people who are actually competent to give such advice.

That the OP seems to think that "grounding" these structures will somehow provide some kind of protection from lightning suggests he badly needs competent advice on the subject.

jaggedben

Occupation
I imagine that perhaps most of the bridge is structurally unsound, or gone, but they want to span still-existing piers or abutments with shipping containers. OP did specify a 'train trestle'. Unless the original bridge is gone and the reason is that it got hit by lightning, this thread is much ado about nothing much, IMHO.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I imagine that perhaps most of the bridge is structurally unsound, or gone, but they want to span still-existing piers or abutments with shipping containers. OP did specify a 'train trestle'. Unless the original bridge is gone and the reason is that it got hit by lightning, this thread is much ado about nothing much, IMHO.

a lot of old train right of ways that are no longer used by railroads are being turned into trails. maybe someone thinks this is a cheap way to make the trestle safe for bike and foot traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.