Missing EGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing EGC

I have an existing 480 volt 3 phase 20 mp circuit to a roof exhaust. I need to replace the blower motor. There are [3] phase conductors in 1/2 EMT with no EGC. Is it OK to use the EMT as an equipment ground or should I run a new green conductor? I'm in a steel building, can I just ground the motor to the building frame? It's about a 300 foot run so running a new wire in the 1/2 EMT won't be easy. Thanks

Read 250.118

Roger

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad86 View Post
      I have an existing 480 volt 3 phase 20 mp circuit to a roof exhaust. I need to replace the blower motor. There are [3] phase conductors in 1/2 EMT with no EGC. Is it OK to use the EMT as an equipment ground or should I run a new green conductor? I'm in a steel building, can I just ground the motor to the building frame? It's about a 300 foot run so running a new wire in the 1/2 EMT won't be easy. Thanks
      No, you need an EGC. It can be the raceway if it complies with Roger's code reference.
      Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

Code support for Post 3: See 250.136(A)
        At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Comment

Working...
        X