UFER gone after framing

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Get to new residential build to install permanent service. Find that the framers cut off the UFER flush with the top of the poured wall and installed the pressure treated
2"x8" top plate over it.

Will 2 driven 5/8" x8' galvanized rods suffice for the Grounding electrode?
Incoming water is plastic.

Can the AHJ require that a CEE be put in after the fact?

Thanks

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Get to new residential build to install permanent service. Find that the framers cut off the UFER flush with the top of the poured wall and installed the pressure treated
2"x8" top plate over it.

Thanks

The CEE still exists. You have to use it. The piece of rebar the concrete guys left for you is just for your convenience. It is not part of the CEE.

You need to let the GC deal with this financially.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
Just remember
Do not talk about any discussion topics that could/should occur with the framers.
Otherwise words like "premeditated" get thrown around.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Someone (not necessarily you) will have to chip into the foundation wall and make the connection to that rebar. Yours is unlikely to be the butt soon to be in a sling.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Someone (not necessarily you) will have to chip into the foundation wall and make the connection to that rebar. Yours is unlikely to be the butt soon to be in a sling.

if anyone chips into the concrete it will need to be properly repaired and re-inspected. If the panelboard is in the basement it might be simpler to access the CEE connection from the inside.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
OP, was this a rebar stub or a CU wire?

Get to new residential build to install permanent service. Find that the framers cut off the UFER flush with the top of the poured wall and installed the pressure treated 2"x8" top plate over it.

As I read this, the OP says the conductor tied to the UFER is inside the poured concrete wall that is on top of the footing.

If I could reasonably designate the place on the wall that the Grounding Electrode Conductor is in, I'd expect them to expose enough of it to install a non-reversible crimp.

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
2"x8" top plate over it.

Thanks

Around here it is allowed to create another concrete encased electrode next to the footing with 20 feet of rebar or #4 wire encased in 2 inches of concrete. You would not have to break up concrete since the last sentence of 250.52(A)(3) states that where more than one CCE is present at a building, only one needs to be bonded to the grounding electrode system.

david

Around here it is allowed to create another concrete encased electrode next to the footing with 20 feet of rebar or #4 wire encased in 2 inches of concrete. You would not have to break up concrete since the last sentence of 250.52(A)(3) states that where more than one CCE is present at a building, only one needs to be bonded to the grounding electrode system.

sounds like a reasonable solution, especially if the foundation has not yet been back filled

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Oregon realized we're at the mercy of the building trades, and allows us not to use the CEE if it's not available.

I can't count how many times a customer would build and finish a shop, and then call us for a quote for the electrical at that point.....:roll:

kwired

Electron manager
Not that big a deal. Just have the framers remove a piece of the 2X6 plate. Take a small chipping hammer and chip out a cup large enough to get an acorn clamp on the stub.
They removed what was in their way, maybe I need a ~24 x 24 access in the wall to work on fixing this:D

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
and I thought that only happened around here.

nope....the 'crete guys all think i'm nuts.....the state itself actually went about contacting them (at least the big companies) , mainly due to the fact our trade is rarely hired before a foundation is in place

~RJ~

Marshmo

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This happened to me a couple months ago. GC exposed some rebar on side of footing, I clamped to it and AHJ was satisfied.

First thing I did was drive two rods. Inspector said either put a 20' stick of rebar in trench encased in concrete or do what I mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.