400 amp service grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am bidding my first commercial job and i know that i need to run #2 copper for my 400 amp service. I never ran grounding for a 400 amp service. what is the recommeded way to attach to ground rods and water line? thank you :huh:

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Water line uses a typical pipe ground clamp, and rods a typical rod clamp:

81WV9uiC35L._SX466_.jpg 031857491635.jpg

Maybe I don't understand the question?

By the way, the wire to the rods never needs to exceed #6 cu.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am bidding my first commercial job and i know that i need to run #2 copper for my 400 amp service. I never ran grounding for a 400 amp service. what is the recommeded way to attach to ground rods and water line? thank you :huh:

I assume you have 2-200 amp panels instead of one 400 amp panel. I also assume you have a CT cabinet. If so we run the #2 and the #6 to the cabinet

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Do you have a single 400 amp service disconnect? What size service entrance conductors?

I met up with the inspector at the job to go over things with him, since he will be inspecting it. He is requiring the 4oo amp service to have a 400 amp main panel, from there 2 200 amp sub panels. According to load, 500 cmils for service entrance is required. Meter is on the other side of wall. Service coming into the back of the panel.

mwm1752

Master electrician should know there are many ways to do this, many are correct, & since this is your bid your choice. Seems to simple of a ? for an experienced tradesman.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I met up with the inspector at the job to go over things with him, since he will be inspecting it. He is requiring the 4oo amp service to have a 400 amp main panel, from there 2 200 amp sub panels. According to load, 500 cmils for service entrance is required. Meter is on the other side of wall. Service coming into the back of the panel.

So look at table 250.66 for 500 kcmil that will be the size for the water pipe. #6 is all that's required for a ground rod electrode.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
With double lugs on the meter load terminals, two 200a mains would also work. His single 400a main "requirement" is not reflected in the NEC.

Quite a bit of $$ can be saved using 230.40 exception 2 and just 2 200 A MB panels. Not sure if for some specific aspect of the job that isnt feasible, or its a case of an inspector "wanting" something that he doesnt have the authority to demand....

Also, 500 copper is too small for 400 amps, unless you can use the next size up rule to get from 380 to 400 (sometimes inspectors want load calcs if you use that provision).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would definite ask the inspector why you must use a single 400 amp panel. That will cost twice as much as 2-200 amp panels

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would guess that the 2-200 amps panels are not grouped together, hence the requirement for a main.

Status
Not open for further replies.