NEC 250.53 [D] (2) ground rod connection location

Status
Not open for further replies.

blkmagik21

I have a home that has a water pipe as the primary electrode. I’m installing two ground rods as supplementary and I have made the connection to lug tapped onto the CT can feeding the service. It is grounded by the grounded service entrance conductor. I got a correction where the inspector referenced 250.24 [D] but I feel that 250.53 [D](2) allows me to connect my supplemental electrodes this way. What is your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blkmagik21

I agree with you. Specifically 250.53(D)(2)(4), if I understand your description accurately.

Exactly! I have now elevated my disagreement up the chain to the lead electrical inspections supervisor. He was agreeing with me but wanted to take it up the chain and make sure the chief electrical inspector was on board with this. I’m like but it’s in the NEC and there is no WAC to supersede it... but I’m not naive to the fact he has the ability to not accept a code because he has the power of the AHJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with you. Specifically 250.53(D)(2)(4), if I understand your description accurately.

I would cite that section too but what does "any grounded service enclosure" mean? Is the CT cabinet a service enclosure?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I would cite that section too but what does "any grounded service enclosure" mean? Is the CT cabinet a service enclosure?

If it has service conductors in it then I think it is. The utility might not like the EC doing stuff in it, but NEC doesn't care about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.